Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pilot Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pilot Questions

Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of installing a Pool Pilot Digital but I have a couple of questions:

I know over sizing is recommended but would an RC-52 be overkill for my 25,000 gal pool or would an RC-42 be more appropriate?

I have a vinyl liner pool and have basically ignored my calcium level which is very low (30). I see Autopilot recommends a range of 200-400. Is being below that range an issue?

If I have to raise my calcium level does the salt have any effect on calcium levels? Should I add the salt first then raise calcium or vice versa?

Does anyone know how big the manifold is? I plan on putting the unit where my inline feeder is now and would like to know if it will fit there. The manual does not list the size or any other install instructions other than it shouold be upright and the last thing before the return.

I plan on installing myself so does anyone have any low price/reputable dealer recommendations?

Other than my low cal numbers, and a zero salt level, my number are right on the money thanks to BBB:

As per my PS233 test kit this morning:

Weatherking 18x36 Vinyl Liner Inground 25,000 gals
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP
    Hayward Vari-flo Multiport Valve
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE3620 DE Filter
    Heat Siphon SX5.0HP Heat Pump
    Rainbow 320 Inline Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool Pilot Questions

We recommend getting a cell that is between 1.5 and 3 times larger than your pool. The RC-52 looks to be right around 2 times as large, so that is perfect.

Low CH is just fine with a vinyl liner pool. The SWG won't mind at all.

Salt and calcium don't interact at all.

The manifold is roughly 13"x21".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, CA

TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tulsa, OK

By the way, your FC of 3 is not right on the money for CYA of 70. The minimum for a non-SWG pool is 5, and the target is 8. And after you have your SWG running, the target FC will be 3.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5
    Northern Virginia

+2 on saltpoolguys. I got mine from them, great service. I installed myself too. You'll need some plastic conduit for the wire going into your electric box, and I recommend the PVC shears that are about $30 at home depot. They cut the plastic great, unless the PVC is very old and brittle- in which case a hacksaw might be better. Oh and some PVC primer/glue.

I went with their nano+ and it's overkill for my 17k pool. I never have to go above 35% duty cycle with a 6 hour/day pump run time to keep the FC up.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Another option to cutting the PVC is a miter chop saw. I used it for mine and worked great no burs but still used a file to smooth the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test