Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to take the plunge

1. Back To Top    #1

About to take the plunge

Hi All,

About to sign with a pool builder in Austin, TX (man are pools $$$ here!).

IG Gunite with spa. Will try and posts some pics along the way.

I think I'm being realistic with the timeframe. I don't expect it to be completed before the middle of Sept, but have decided to go with a heater, so should get some use out of it this year.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to take the plunge

Hi, welcome to TFP! Has hot as its been lately, you might not need to crank up a heater until October!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Now is an ideal time to plan things. It's swim season! Go sit in the proposed location and have a cigar. See which way the summer wind blows, if you don't already know. Put your skimmer at the extreme downwind end. It's a huge pet peeve of mine that mine isn't. The slightest breeze will push all the floating debris right on past it where it gets waterlogged and sinks so I can vacuum it out. No amount of circulation will overcome a breeze. If I got to design my pool from scratch, I wouldn't care if it meant a fifty foot pipe run to get that that skimmer in the right spot.

And while they'd trenching and wiring and plumbing everything... be sure to include a number of 110V outlets, to plug in a stereo, vacuum cleaner, sump pump, whatever. It's easy to add while it's being built. You also want a hose bib nearby, to wash the deck or clean the filter or whatever.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Welcome!

Now is an ideal time to plan things. It's swim season! Go sit in the proposed location and have a cigar. See which way the summer wind blows, if you don't already know. Put your skimmer at the extreme downwind end. It's a huge pet peeve of mine that mine isn't. The slightest breeze will push all the floating debris right on past it where it gets waterlogged and sinks so I can vacuum it out. No amount of circulation will overcome a breeze. If I got to design my pool from scratch, I wouldn't care if it meant a fifty foot pipe run to get that that skimmer in the right spot.

And while they'd trenching and wiring and plumbing everything... be sure to include a number of 110V outlets, to plug in a stereo, vacuum cleaner, sump pump, whatever. It's easy to add while it's being built. You also want a hose bib nearby, to wash the deck or clean the filter or whatever.
    Thanks for the information, I didn't think about those things and have added a couple of outlets. I'll check the wind direction, but the way the yard is situated, there isn't too much wind. I'm in a valley that is pretty well blocked, but will check it out anyway.