Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: How did you find TFP?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Search engine

76 91.57%
  • Referred by a friend

1 1.20%
  • Referred by a stranger

1 1.20%
  • None of the above

5 6.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did YOU find TFP?

1. Back To Top    #1

How did YOU find TFP?

I found this site when building our pool in 2012. It got me to thinking, how do people find this site.

I am curious because I have referred a lot of people to this site both friends and strangers.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How did YOU find TFP?

I found it by accident as I was looking for a nice pool forum and low and behold, I stumbled across a brand new forum in the making that had a lot of people who knew what they were talking about and I never left. That was in April 2007! Sometimes it's hard to believe it's been 7 years! This place is by far one of the best forums out there!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

^^^ditto that!^^^
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

About 2 months after build discovered this site searching for remedy to low PH. That was August 2011. Bought test kit before opening in 2012. Never got pool stored.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I also found it through a search on the web. I wonder how many people have actually listened when I tell them about this site. I was hoping to see a lot of referrals on this poll. I think of all the money and heartache I have saved by finding it and was hoping to help others do the same.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

I took a left turn at Greenland!
    Seriously, believe it or not it was a clerk at Leslie's that ultimately led me here. He was telling me I could use baking soda to correct my pH, and being my skeptical self I googled it and found TFP! Turns out what he told me was wrong, (he had it backwards) but still I am grateful his advice put me on the way to TFP.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

They drug me here kicking and screaming I tell ya'!

Googled it before the pool went up, and honestly can't understand why people wait until their pool is built/installed/up and filled before worrying about how to take care of it. Just floors me.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I was moving from Newport, RI to Sacramento. I had never had any pool experience; never even had friends with pools, but I knew if I was going to live in 100+ degree summers I was going to buy a house with a pool. Found this website and joined months before even owning a pool. I am one of the rare few that has never been pool stored. Literally the only thing I've ever bought from a pool store is liquid chlorine and MA. Never had a pool store test done. I'm a genuine child of Zion (matrix reference).
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

I was trolling the interwebs for how to replace bearings on a failing pump. Found TFP, stayed up way too late reading for three nights in a row, then opened up my pool the following spring on the TFPC method and never looked back.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Googled it before the pool went up, and honestly can't understand why people wait until their pool is built/installed/up and filled before worrying about how to take care of it. Just floors me.

Floors me too but that's how I got here. I searched for information about the system I bought and had my eyes opened by this forum. Thankfully, I wasn't too far into being pool stored to cause major problems.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I actually found TFP by mistake. I was googling for pool pics. I said "oh, what's this?" And here I am.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

I found TFP when we moved into our house of 3 years now and knew nothing about pools. Thankfully I absorbed all the information on this site and have only gone to the pool store to get parts. My pool looks amazing thanks to TFP !!
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I was trying to learn about maintaining water in a hot tub and ran across some of chem geek's posts about the dichlor-bleach method over on PoolSpaForum (I think).

When it came time to find the posts again, I didn't remember the forum name but I remembered chem geek's username... Google led me here, and now you're stuck with me.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

We found a house with a pool. As the at home spouse I had to take care of it. I got rid of all five fish tanks (100, 60, 50, 30, & 10 gallon planted tanks with discus and other freshwater fish) and left behind the 300 gallon goldfish pond. The new house and pool would be work, I was done with fish.

In searching for pool information I found TFP. It was clear immediately that this was a friendly helpful place. I sat up at night reading the archives from top to bottom, maybe 47 pages in the longest set at that time.

Even so, I used strips and tabs all that winter and the pool was overstabilized by April when I got a real test kit. I know it had been drained and filled post hurricane so it was perfectly balanced in November when we moved in.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

My cover blow in to the pool over the winter due to user error trying to weigh it down. All the leaves in it I couldn't get it clear and just couldn't understand why it was a constant white. Convinced myself it was the TA and was searching for a way to fix it. After reading about the "acid slug" and it not making any sense to me I kept searching and found real answers here. Still took me a while to read enough about SLAM (then still known as "the shock process") to implement it, but eventually I did get the water clear, the Pool Frog removed, and over the next couple years getting myself in order.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

This is a great thread/poll.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Took over as condo association president last October. Immersed myself in everything in regards to the property which includes a pool. When I really think of it, that's the one thing that could really
    cause problems for the resident if not operated correctly. Found this site looking for info and it has been a wealth of knowledge even if it is a semi public pool that we're running. Quite a few residents have commented that
    the pool looks the best its looked in years. Naturally I have to agree .

John
    IG 33K Gallons 20'X40', Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T2 (zeolite), Pentair Intelliflo 3HP SVRS Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Donldson, the acid slug! I forgot about that! Funny, some of the advice on the internet that has no basis in science or reality.

19. Back To Top    #19

I was fighting some really bad stains on my vinyl floor. I had just bought a huge filter and pump. and stumbled here.... I dont remember the exact links or searches but I was hooked reading the frog pond to clear stories. I tell everyone I run into that has an interest in pools about this place.... Thanks to everyone for making this a great community.
    Sometimes I really wish there was a "like" button. Richard really cracks me up.. Arnold Schwartenagger as the "Chlorinator" !!
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Great thread! I am enjoying each post!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast