Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation with a pool that I cannot balance?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation with a pool that I cannot balance?

I cannot get my pool balanced and we are going to be gone for a week. Pool is clear, CC won't go below one. Had my daughter scrub around the lights and steps last night (CC still at 1...looks higher today than yesterday).

I have been at this for over a week now. It seemed like we were close, then hubby cleaned the filter...wham...using lots of chlorine again. Turned the solar back one...wham...lots of chlorine usage again and, it looks like the CC went up after that. Getting really frustrated.

Any suggestions for us before we leave?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation with a pool that I cannot balance?

Try pulling the light and cleaning behind it. And if those steps are wedding cakes steps, it's probably all slimy behind them. If you've been doing the Shock Level And Maintain Process to eliminate the CC, you need to run the water through the solar to clean any residual out of that plumbing as well. Cover? It could be harboring algae. The stuff reproduces fast, you need to kill it everywhere.

It would help us a whole lot if you would fill out your signature. A lot less guessing that way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I updated sig...

If the cover has been on the majority of the time, do I need to pull it off and bleach it?
    30k in-ground pool with pebble surface, cartridge filter, solar panel with solar cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Awoodwaring View Post
    I updated sig...

If the cover has been on the majority of the time, do I need to pull it off and bleach it?
    If it's one of those floating bubble-wrap covers, submerge it every so often so every inch is exposed to the high-chlorine water. Or flip it over, add your bleach to the surface and move the bleach around and let it drain off into the pool by using the spray nozzle on the garden hose. That'll kill anything lingering on the bubbles.

If it's some other type, not a clue. Never dealt with them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok...lights and waterfall were gunky....hubby cleaned...everything is on and running. I'll test again after the kids swim.
    30k in-ground pool with pebble surface, cartridge filter, solar panel with solar cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is my cover...this may be more difficult to clean.

7. Back To Top    #7

30% loss of chlorine over 9 hours (cya of 55) and a spike of CC to 2. Yikes! I think we found the issues! The waterfall and lights were really bad. So, I am now adding chlorine and will test on an hourly basis....unfortunately, we are still going on vacation.

How do I figure outa how much chlorine should I have our house sitter add....I don't even have a baseline. . We were steady until we would add in some new thing (i.e., cleaning the filter, turning on the solar, turning back on the waterfall, etc...).

Also, I don't know if I feel comfortable leaving *everything* on and running while we are gone. We noticed a solar leak this morning...no biggie, but we were able to fix it pretty quickly. I don't expect our house sitter to catch these things.

8. Back To Top    #8

You SLAM according to your CYA level.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Any chance you have a close enough friend or someone in the neighborhood is a pool owner you know you could ask the favor of "pool sitting" while you are gone ??

Are you testing the water yourself or pool store ??

Even though the water looks good are you continuing to sweep the pool ?? Keeps things stirred up and anything that shouldn't be there from getting a grip and easier for the filter to suck up.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    You SLAM according to your CYA level.
    That would require daily testing (no go for the person here while we are out). They can add chlorine, that is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Any chance you have a close enough friend or someone in the neighborhood is a pool owner you know you could ask the favor of "pool sitting" while you are gone ??

Are you testing the water yourself or pool store ??

Even though the water looks good are you continuing to sweep the pool ?? Keeps things stirred up and anything that shouldn't be there from getting a grip and easier for the filter to suck up.
    Sweeping everyday (usually multiple times)

Taylor kit

Testing myself

Tested again...CC is 2, FC is 24 (3 hrs later, and I was shooting for 22... Oops)

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Awoodwaring View Post
    Tested again...CC is 2, FC is 24 (3 hrs later, and I was shooting for 22... Oops)
    Well it's better to be a little over when doing a SLAM than being under

Where are you at with getting the chemistry stabilized ?? Figured out anything on a "pool sitter" ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!