Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool, DE question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool, DE question

Hey guys,

Day 13 of SLAM, and I think I would like to add DE to the filter. Pool has been blue and cloudy X 1 week.

Here are my results from this AM

FC 11
    CC 0.5 (maybe, was very light)

Lost 1ppm overnight.

My CYA is o.

Quick question to verify DE process. So I think I am to put 1/4 cup DE in bucket with water and add slowly, repeating process until gauge raises 1?

Once it raises up 1, then I stop adding what point do I backwash?

After I backwash, Do I add DE again?

21' round 52" high AG pool with a 19" sand filter 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Cloudy pool, DE question

Don't keep adding looking for the 1 psi rise. If you haven't seen it rise after a couple cups, stop.

When the pressure rises 25% or the flow is noticeably reduced, then backwash. That is, you started at 15, the DE puts it to 16, when you get to 20, backwash. Whatever your particular values are. After you backwash, you will need to add DE again. Use the same amount you used the first time, no need to add it in stages again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

You should raise the CYA level to at least 30. SLAMing is easier when CYA is 30 and you will lose less chlorine to sunlight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, got It!

Planning on getting the CYA up, however I have a leak in the pool that should be fixed by Monday. Guy couldn't come until the pool was cleared up some. Thank goodness it has been a very cloudy gloomy week here!

Thanks a bunch (once again!!!)
    21' round 52" high AG pool with a 19" sand filter 1hp pump