Vinyl pool cloudy - mustard algae, algae, or pollen???

May 31, 2013
Manchester NH
HI all, I have a read a bunch on here about pollen, and mustard algae, and am not sure which I have, so making a new post.

Here are the stats from right now:

POOL 6-14-14 10 AM

FC 4.0 PPM
CC 0.0 PPM
PH 7.6
CYA 55
TA 70
CH 80

Pool is 80 degrees.

In the northeast.

Pool gets DIRECT SUN for all but two hours in the morning.

Yellow slime is all over, sides and bottom, on stairs.

Vac won't pick it up on 1 pass (hayward navigator pro) even on super suck.

Takes about 5 passes (all night) to get the yellow up.

Brush displaces the stuff into a poof which then resettles hours later.

There is pollen around, and we are near some big pines, and it is spring.

But I am no sure if I should shock or not, since the CC is 0 and it may be pollen.

But it is murky and cloudy and after vacuuming all night, it still seems to be coming back, not so much like pollen floating in the water. I ordered some skimmer socks, but not here yet.

Any help much appreciated, thank you!!

What does it feel like is it slimey or does it feel gritty and firmer than algae? From what I understand mustard algae is a shade loving algae so it would be odd to have it like that in a full sun pool. What is your overnight chlorine loss? If your chlorine isn't dropping and your cc is at 0 I'd assume it's pollen but definitely wait for an expert to come along. No need to wait for skimmer socks though, get some pantyhose, knee highs will work and slip one over your skimmer.

Thank you. Daily FC consumed averages 2. I get it up to 5 or 6 and it gets down to 3 or so, then I add 1 jug of great value 8.25% and we are back to 5-6.

OCLT was 0.5

- - - Updated - - -

Additional info, I dont run the filter at night. I think thats when the pollen settles. And the skimmer socks don't seem an added help! Just more things that need to be cleaned.

- - - Updated - - -

Reply to poobears, I can't really feel it at all, maybe a little slimy. When you touch it with your hand it moves but i was surprised the vac had trouble. Have to brush it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.