You all have been very helpful for me with my new pool and now I need help figuring my moms pool out. She opened it a few weeks ago and has done what she always has done with shocking the pool till clear. Pool is clear. It is not holding Chlorine at all even over night. She is using granular 47.6% cal hypo for chlorine. I ran test with my kit and came up with the following,

FC 0
CC 0
PH 8.0
TA 110
CYA 0

I know that she needs stabilizer but before putting that in I wanted to make sure that there was no other underlying issues that could be causing this. She has been putting plenty of chlorine at night more then recommended for pool size and it reads nothing every morning. I did the same thing last night and the same. What are your recommendations?

First, I suggest you test for CH. Low is okay, but it might be high since she uses cal-hypo.

Don't add CYA yet until we determine the issue.

If CH is okay, lower pH to about 7.2.

Add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to reach SLAM level of 10FC. Retest in 30 minutes.
Post results.

What size/gallons is her pool?

Is her fill water municipal or well water?

Did you add 20 drops of R-0010 and 5 drops of R-0011L to start? If so then the result is 280.

How much cal-hypo does your mom add each night? Have you tested FC 30 minutes after adding cal-hypo to see how high it is?

Yes on the CH test and yes on the FC test. I am feeling it is possible that the CYA has possible convert to ammonia and that it is eating up the CL. She had been putting in as much as 10oz of Cal Hypo a night read nothing each am and i put in 7 oz two times last night and got minimal reading and it should have been easily reading 3 to 5 and nothing this am.

I am not sure what to do. Shock heavily or drain and refill half the pool or go to the dreaded pull store for a test on ammonia. Trying to get straight for her before leaving her on Monday and want to not waste any more money then necessary

This will help us understand what is going on:
Add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to reach SLAM level of 10FC. Retest in 30 minutes.
Post results.

Also, mom needs to stop with the cal-hypo & switch to bleach/liquid chlorine :wink:

I doubt the pool store has an ammonia test, but your local pet supply will have it in the fish supplies section. You can pick one up for less than $15.00 and it will last a good long time. It is a very simple test to perform.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ammonia came back at 0. PH 7.5 TA 110 CH 240 CYA 0

Could no stabilizer allow this even overnight?

- - - Updated - - -

After adding CL last night I should of easily had a level of close to 4 after 30 minutes and read1 or less. This morning added 32 oz bleach read less then .5 after 30 minutes. And now zero. Afraid to sink more in if I need to drain.

Ammonia came back at 0. PH 7.5 TA 110 CH 240 CYA 0

Could no stabilizer allow this even overnight?

- - - Updated - - -

After adding CL last night I should of easily had a level of close to 4 after 30 minutes and read1 or less. This morning added 32 oz bleach read less then .5 after 30 minutes. And now zero. Afraid to sink more in if I need to drain.

No need to drain if mom stops using cal-hypo :smile:

Start SLAMing using 10 as your shock value. Add about 30ppm CYA via sock method. Once it is dissolved, increase shock value accordingly.

I suggest you test/add chlorine/liquid bleach at least every hour until FC starts to hold.

If water is cheap and you are in a rush, you could do a half drain/refill that you mentioned earlier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.