Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Protect Intex liner from rock with these!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Protect Intex liner from rock with these!!!!

I recently purchased 2 ton of river rock from a local stone supplier at $22/ton. But I was concerned about the Intex liner, since not all the rocks are perfectly round. I found some rubber pvc pipe insulation at Lowe's for $6.68 and my 24' pool took about 7 of them, which I cut in half. The rock in enclosed with red bricks. The measured distance around my pool was 75 feet. Thought about pool noodles but they fall apart too easy, besides the black rubber looks better! Here's the link to what I used:

http://www.lowes.com/Search=rubber+p...e+insulation#!
    Here's how it looks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/956913...in/photostream
    Hope this helps!
    Intex 24' Round Vinyl AGP(13,500 Gallons), Intex Model 633T Filter Pump with Type B cartridge filter. Taylor K2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Protect Intex liner from rock with these!!!!

Looks nice Kim!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That's a great idea... I would never have thought of that... Now you've got me thinking of using something like pool noodles all the way around the base of my liner of my rectangle intex pool....

I have been looking at 67mm thick white marine rope, but this could be the cheaper alternative to $22.50 a metre for the aforementioned rope....

Thank you very much for this....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

4. Back To Top    #4

KimR,

Thanks!! we finished setting ours up and were trying to figure out the landscaping around it, best idea i've seen yet! now i need to find the rocks like you have....my local Lowes didn't have anything....they had 'river stone' or whatever but they were too sharp for my liking

nate

edit: i wonder if it makes a difference if i used the foam or rubber insulation...anyone have thoughts? i think foam is even cheaper. also why did you cut them in half?
    Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Foam will rot, and very quickly.....And it smells and has the ability to grow mould and mildew....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

Great idea! New pool is filling up as I type . Was trying to figure out what to put down before I put the river rock around it, thanks!

24' x 52" Artesian Heritage AG / 15,000 Gal
    19" Sand Filter, 1 H.P. Pump Combo
    Installed: June 2014
    Frog System, Hard Plumbed

7. Back To Top    #7

I think the rubber will last much longer, foam (like pool noodles) will fall apart. I cut them in half to make them go farther and so they would fit under the edge of the pool better. The river rock I purchased does have some rock in it that aren't perfectly round, but as I shoveled the rock around my pool, I made sure to put the bigger, perfectly round rocks up against the rubber. Check to see if there's a rock quarry in your area that dredges the bottom of the river. We also hauled the rock ourselves which saved an $80 haul bill. $44 for the rock and $50 for the rubber= peace of mind and a nicer pool area. Hope you have a buddy to help with all that shoveling though... I didn't !!! ( My husband broke his hand at work or he would have!)

- - - Updated - - -

We sprayed some Round-up weed killer , then laid plastic sheeting down, then river rock.
    Intex 24' Round Vinyl AGP(13,500 Gallons), Intex Model 633T Filter Pump with Type B cartridge filter. Taylor K2006 test kit.