New build, concerns with the installation

Jun 13, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
We just had a 15x30 above ground put in this week. In fact, it's still filling, filter not yet attached. That's one of my concerns- the stainless service panel was painted on one side for aesthetics...but they installed that side facing in, and the stainless part out. Will that be an issue? It also came with nice cover rails to cover over the exposed screws...but they didn't use them. They also didn't use the wall channels to secure the top rail for the liner. It's a j-hook liner. This was explained to the installer both verbally and email, however he seemed keep thinking it was going to be a overlap liner--which led to more issues. During the quote, we mentioned the j hook and we talked about the building of a cove with sand. During the installation he said a cove was a bad idea and would mess with the vac system, etc. Then he installed the top rails before the liner, which we questioned because the manual said to put the liner on first. He assured us he does this all the time and his way is better. Then he went to put the liner in and seemed surprised that it was a j hook and said they'd be back the next day to do it because now they had take the top rail off. The liner seems to be put in pretty even, but when we got back and it was filling I noticed the service panel was put in backwards.

There were even more odd things that happened but most of my concerns are listed above. We purchased the pool online and hired a local installer. We called around, went to a pool shop and looked online. This guys web presence seemed pretty good and he says 20+ years experience so we thought everything would be fine. Now our excitement has turned to worry. :(

I guess I would like to know if the lack of a substantial cove and/or the reversed service panel will have a huge effect?

Well, the cove helps hold the liner in place and gives the walls just a little itty bitty more support but ghesh... I've never heard of not doing a cove. They are pretty much a given. It sounds like you hired a complete tool; I'm sorry to say. I would have him come back and fix all the stuff that is wrong. Have you paid in full yet? If not, I would withhold until you are completely satisfied!

P.S. I was going to hire out my pool build because my husband was in a very bad accident. The installer had a pretty stellar reputation in the pool business and yet, he had never seen a SHARKLINE pool. He was quite surprised by it and I ended up putting the pool up myself with some family and my husband helped some too. :goodjob:

New Build in MI, installation concerns-advice needed

Please use one forum and chose wisely as it is against policy to double post in multiple forums. Casey~

We just had a 15x30 above ground put in this week. In fact, it's still filling, filter not yet attached. That's one of my concerns- the stainless service panel was painted on one side for aesthetics...but they installed that side facing in, and the stainless part out. Will that be an issue? It also came with nice cover rails to cover over the exposed screws...but they didn't use them. They also didn't use the wall channels to secure the top rail for the liner. It's a j-hook liner. This was explained to the installer both verbally and email, however he seemed keep thinking it was going to be a overlap liner--which led to more issues. During the quote, we mentioned the j hook and we talked about the building of a cove with sand. During the installation he said a cove was a bad idea and would mess with the vac system, etc. Then he installed the top rails before the liner, which we questioned because the manual said to put the liner on first. He assured us he does this all the time and his way is better. Then he went to put the liner in and seemed surprised that it was a j hook and said they'd be back the next day to do it because now they had take the top rail off. The liner seems to be put in pretty even, but when we got back and it was filling I noticed the service panel was put in backwards.

There were even more odd things that happened but most of my concerns are listed above. We purchased the pool online and hired a local installer. We called around, went to a pool shop and looked online. This guys web presence seemed pretty good and he says 20+ years experience so we thought everything would be fine. Now our excitement has turned to worry.

I guess I would like to know if the lack of a substantial cove and/or the reversed service panel will have a huge effect?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.