asking questions before I get in over my head

Apr 13, 2014
monroe WI
hello all
My wife and I just bought a house in the country. so we are trying this pool thing

Info
we live in Monroe WI and are setting out our pool over the next couple of weeks. Here is what I have so far

Pool - 22'x52" intex ultra frame pool
filter system is 2650 sand filter
test kit TF-100 with stir system
we so far bought CYA 8 lbs got two old socks
16 gals of 10% bleach
I have to have our well water tested for iron (if high I'm going to ask the fire chief if we can fill the pool)

some questions I have so far after the ground is level and pool is up and filled, do I start running the pump, add CYA. Do I have to wait to start adding bleach or do I start right away?
what level do I get the bleach at? do I have to SLAM or just get it to the maintaining level.

I keep reading the school but still a little nervous

Thanks

Welcome and so nice to see you have been doing your home work!

Once the pump is kicked on, you can add the CYA via sock. (I'm going to assume your pH and TA are fine)

Shoot for a 30ppm and get a target FC of 4ppm. You can look at the Chlorine CYA Chart in Pool School for reference. If your water is clear and you have no CC's there is no reason to SLAM. :goodjob: You're going to have a fabulous summer!

You can have them test for metals there. They will probably run the whole gamet and try to sell you stuff and then you can just walk out and do the TFPC. :goodjob:

The intex box said 10400 gallons @ 90% full do I use this number or the poolmath number for total gallons
Use the 10400 as full.

And welcome! :wave:

Depending on how long it takes to fill your pool with the well, you might want to estimate how much water is in there and add 2 or 3 ppm FC every day as it's filling. Just pour it into the hose stream, maybe swish it around a little with the brush. If you can fill it in two days, don't bother. But some people have to go 6" at a time or whatever because of the well capacity and that could take long enough for algae to get a toehold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.