Long Time Lurker, Need Assistance Please

Aug 8, 2010
Coastal NC
Hi,

I am a long time lurker who has never had a problem for the last four years using suggestions on this forum. This year I need some help. I was getting algae recently on the bottom of my pool. Pool water was always very clear. I realized that I needed to slam so I ordered the Taylor K-2006 and started slamming on Monday night (6/9).

Initial test results:
FC-7.0
CC-.5
PH- 8.0 (added acid, brought down to 7.5 before slam)
TA- 80
CH-50
CYA-35

So once I got the numbers correct (the ph) I added enough bleach to get to 24. I have been monitoring the levels every two hours or so for the last couple days except for over night and have made sure that I have never gone under (lowest test was 17ppm first day). I know the slam level is lower for my CYA but just want to make sure. The first three days the chlorine loss slowed down somewhat with each test. I was aiming for 23 ppm at each addition of bleach. Today I am noticing that as I brush there is no longer algae in most places but there is one spot that is shaded that appears to have mustard algae. It is only in that one spot and brushes into a dust. It does not look like the other algae that was on the bottom of the pool. Also my chlorine loss is greater as of today, when I have been adding only to get the level back to 20 ppm. So my question is basically what should I do from here, should I raise my slam level and make sure that it stays above the mustard algae level because I seemed to be making more progress when I over shot the slam level and was closer to the mustard algae level? Or something else?

Also latest test from 7:30 tonight:

FC-17.5, added 1 jug of 121 oz bleach to get up to 20.5
CC-less than .5

I have never had more than .5 for the CC test. I am not testing other things during slam.

Please help me figure out what is going on.

Welcome.

Your CYA level of 35 requires a SLAM level of at the most 15. I see you have something on your walls you noted but why so high of an FC level to begin with?

I honestly was just not sure of how often I was going to be able to test so I thought that was a good level without knowing how quickly it would drop if that makes sense. Did I do something wrong? I thought you never ever want to go below slam level.

You don't want it to go below SLAM levels but you don't want to go extremely above SLAM Levels either because you could ruin your liner. You don't want to do that. You have to stay in line with your CYA level for the higher FC SLAM levels don't adversely affect your liner. :goodjob: It's ok to go above for Mustard Algae but not just for the sake of keeping the SLAM going when you can add FC when it dips.

HI doglover. It seems you are doing everything right. SLAM isnt a 1 time deal as you know. Mustard algae requires higher SlAM FC. It seems yhou are doing that. Keep your FC at mustard level, and brush brush brush it. If you let the FC drop, it will be right back again. As I understand it, mustard is extremely hard headed.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2177-Chlorine-CYA-Chart

Just wanted to say thank you for the advice. :)

I have been keeping the FC at mustard level today because when I checked my pool this morning I had what appeared to be new algae growth in several spots. The FC this morning when I checked at 7:45am was 19, with less than .5 cc. It was quite disappointing because I have not seen that since before I started the slam. If the higher level appears to be working, as in no new algae growth, and is at the mustard algae slam level is it okay to continue at this level till the slam is complete?

As long as MA is growing and you are at MA SLAM levels and in accordance with your CYA level, you should be fine to continue without damaging your liner. Do not go over the MA SLAM level though. :goodjob:

ETA that you must, must, must brush and thoroughly clean every nook and cranny of the pool or it will keep coming back.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/148-mustard-algae

For MA, you should use the normal shock level until you pass the three criteria to be done socking. Then, you only use MA level for 24 hours. I would not recommend longer, since you do have a vinyl liner.

Also, especially if you think you have MA, you should remove light fixtures from the niches, clean and leave open to expose to SLAM levels. Also scrub every nook and cranny.

Are you confident your CYA level is 35?

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Actually I hate the CYA test and always get different results when doing it. I have watched the online video for it and also follow the directions about back to the sun and waist level. I always think I still see the black dot. I am going to have another family member test this once they wake up (teenager). After playing with pool math this morning I am thinking this may be more of my problem than anything else, because what I saw coming back looked like regular algae. I will report back on this.

Yes, I am brushing and brushing and brushing. I figure if nothing else I will have fabulous arms this summer. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Teenage eyes found the cya to be 45. Oops. From now on I will have someone else verify what I think I find. So based upon that level is it okay to target 22 ppm when I add bleach or do you think I should shoot for 20 ppm? I have been doing 22 ppm but I don't want to mess up my liner. Thank you for all the help.

As long as MA is growing and you are at MA SLAM levels and in accordance with your CYA level, you should be fine to continue without damaging your liner. Do not go over the MA SLAM level though. :goodjob:

ETA that you must, must, must brush and thoroughly clean every nook and cranny of the pool or it will keep coming back.

Thanks Casey!! I just realized you already answered my question. Targeting 22 ppm based on new CYA value. I have seen quite a bit of progress today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.