Can't get pool clear

Jun 13, 2014
Please start your own thread for questions about your pool. Zea3

Has anyone had any experience with salt water filters for 20x40 in ground pools? We never seem to get the pool clear until the end of the season and my husband wants to fill it in, but I want to try one more year and maybe a new filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to TFP! First I need to get a little more information about your pool. Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.

I am assuming you have a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG)? Do you have a set of recent test results to post? How does the water look now?

Welcome.

Salt water filters or Salt Water Generators?

Your pool isn't clear because it lacks basically 1 thing and that is chlorine. Why does it not have chlorine? Well, only you can answer that. A SWG can help keep chlorine in the pool, but that is not a free pass to ignore the pool. You still have to test the water daily and dial the generator in and adjust the pH and check on the CYA and the salt content. So you're still messing with the pool. Like I said, it's not an easy peasy, my pool will never turn green, I'm free and clear to do as I please plan... look at me gooooooo... OMG, my pool is turning green!!! I thought this was going to be so simple! :shock:

Do you have a test kit? If not, we suggest the TF100 found here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison.

Also, you should read:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
SLAMing Your Pool
PoolMath

These should get you going in the right direction. :goodjob:

We have a 20x40 in ground pool with a sand filter, but are thinking about getting a new filter and am wondering what the feedback is on the use of a saltwater filter. We have a vinyl liner.we are just opening it for the season as it has been too cols and rainy before now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.