Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buy Bleach - BREAK THE LAW!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Buy Bleach - BREAK THE LAW!

I'm at Leslie's buying some liquid CYA and about to do a SLAM so I ask the pool guy "Do you have any liquid chlorine?"

Pool guy - "NO! That is illegal!"

Me - Really? I can buy a truckload of it next door at WalMart, it's called bleach.

Pool guy - "Oh no that is BLEACH not liquid chlorine. Liquid chlorine is banned and illegal in all 50 states!"
    ~26,000 gal (still dialing it in) / in-ground saltwater (Hayward T-CELL-15) / Blue Granite PebbleSheen / 2hp WhisperFlo pumps (main), 1.5hp WhisperFlo pump (waterfall) / Pentair DE filter / AquaLogic control / Polaris cleaner aka "Trackie" / Dallas, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buy Bleach - BREAK THE LAW!

For some reason Leslie's does not sell liquid chlorine in Texas. I think I have heard others say they offer it in other states. Are there any other national chain pool stores in the Dallas area?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not that I can think of. All the independent ones go out of business.

~26,000 gal (still dialing it in) / in-ground saltwater (Hayward T-CELL-15) / Blue Granite PebbleSheen / 2hp WhisperFlo pumps (main), 1.5hp WhisperFlo pump (waterfall) / Pentair DE filter / AquaLogic control / Polaris cleaner aka "Trackie" / Dallas, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Leslie's bought out their main competition in Houston, so now its all independent shops or an isle in the big box stores.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I was in a leslies in VA yesterday to buy Calcium and asked for Liquid Chlorine and they sell 4 gallons for $20.00.

Leslies in Manassas,VA.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by muffin_dad View Post
    Liquid chlorine is banned and illegal in all 50 states!"
    Everyone... STOP DOING YOUR LAUNDRY! BLEACH is illegal!

I so wish this would work on my hubby on why I can't do laundry!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The liquid chlorine is very regional. Leslie's sells it in AZ
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

At Leslie's, ask for Liquid Shock. Should be 10%.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Pool guy - "Oh no that is BLEACH not liquid chlorine. Liquid chlorine is banned and illegal in all 50 states!"
    Sounds like the mechanic who says your car is too dangerous to drive away without them fixing it for you. Just another underhanded sales tactic, when you can't compete legitimately, you lie. The manager lies to his sales people, they pass it on as if it's fact...

I have to deal with those types far too often in my job, I have no patience for them.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm at Leslie's buying some liquid CYA and about to do a SLAM so I ask the pool guy "Do you have any liquid chlorine?"

Pool guy - "NO! That is illegal!"

Me - Really? I can buy a truckload of it next door at WalMart, it's called bleach.

I'm freaking out...throwing away my gallon jugs of Clorox as we speak...I don't want to go to jail!
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

11. Back To Top    #11

Those in Chicago area ..The Great Escape has 12.5% shock for 4 gallon cases at $10 bucks. Best price around here.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes!! I scored some about a week ago! Only bought a case though...was afraid to buy too much and have it sit there..
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

13. Back To Top    #13

Just to throw ants on everything! "Liquid Chlorine" Is illegal to sell to consumers. You have to have a special license to buy and use it.

Now for the caveat! Technically "Liquid Chlorine" is 100% chlorine gas, chilled and compressed until it liquefies. What most pool stores call Liquid Chlorine is really Sodium Hypochlorite (aka Bleach) at 10 to 15%.

Is that the stuff the OP's pool guy was talking about??? Who knows, but he could have heard that somewhere and decided to disseminate the information to fool the less knowledgeable.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

When chlorine is outlawed, then only outlaws will have chlorine.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

15. Back To Top    #15

The higher concentration bleach (10-15%) is usually called chlorinating liquid or liquid chlorinating compound to distinguish it from liquefied chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"