Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum issues

I have an issue when I try to vacuum my pool. I drain all the air from the hose by placing the hose in front of the return port, no problem. I hook it up to the skimmer basket and get really good suction then my pump pulls so hard that when viewing
    through the glass top, the water drains down and pretty much there is a heavy gush of water the size of the 2" pipe going through the pump. Is this normal? I stop because I don't want the pump running without enough water. Shouldn't it stay filled to the glass top?
    24' round above ground pool. 15,200 gallons. Hayward Pro Series sand filter and Hayward 1hp Powerflow Matrix pump. Upstate New York

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum issues

Does the same thing happen if just have that one skimmer open without the hose?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No, it should not be doing that. Has it always done this or is it a recent problem? When you hook up the hose to the skimmer are you using a vacuum plate, or do you stuff the hose down into the skimmer pipe to the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is your vacuum head suctioning itself to the floor?

Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

How long did you let it run before stopping it? Did you try releasing the air relief valve on the filter to see if that would purge all of the air? Even though you fill the hose with ware from a return jet, there can still be air in a line. Many times when I put my vacuum in and open the valve, I get air in the pump but within about 30-45 seconds the pump is then full of water. Sometimes I do bleed the air out via the air relief valve on the filter. It just depends on how bored I am.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a vacuum plate. I have had this problem before but I have also been able to make it work the right way. One thing I do though is leave the basket in. I'm not sure if that is right. I also backwash the filter often so it runs real good, between 6-10 psi. I've never checked the psi while vacuuming.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it moves freely.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize there is an air valve, I'll have to look.
    24' round above ground pool. 15,200 gallons. Hayward Pro Series sand filter and Hayward 1hp Powerflow Matrix pump. Upstate New York

7. Back To Top    #7

I do not have an air valve. It really seams like the pump is to powerful and the water flow can't keep up with it. I'm wondering about switching to a 1 1/2" vacuum hose rather than 1 1/4". Has any one else tried this?

8. Back To Top    #8

My Intex pump sucks the water level down in the inlet basket when I first begin vacuuming. It has not cavitated that I know of. I always have good suction on the vacuum so I don't worry about it.

As long as it doesn't cavitate, you'll probably be ok.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....