Newbie with Questions

First of all, I would like to say I have been a (non registered) lurker for awhile - and I think the community and information compiled on this site is amazing - and a little intimidating! Thank you for the resources and treasure trove of knowledge you have built here!

I have a 24 foot round above ground pool with a Hayward Power Flow Matrix sand pump - we have had the pool for about 8 years. Our pool has been closed for the last 2 years. We have used pool store chemicals for the life of the pool and I had never heard of the BBB method until I found this wonderful forum. When we started, we drained the pool as low as we could without compromising the liner, and have filled the pool back up. It is a slightly lighter shade of green swamp than what we started with.

I have been reading up on Pool School, and just want to make sure I am on the right track to SLAMing my pool/swamp. So far I have used the Pool Math Calculator and the Chlorine/CYA Chart to try to figure out the shock level.

I tested the pool tonight before adding anything at all, and the kit I have until I get the Taylor kit doesn't have quite as much information as I see shared here - but these are the results I have so far.

TC - 0
FC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 80
CYA - 0

Based on these results I need to add 210 oz of bleach. (I plan on testing again tomorrow after I have run the pump for a while to make sure they are the most accurate)

From what I understand, I should get the pH down before I start bringing the pool up to shock level.
I have purchased pH Down (i think it is also called dry acid?), 8 gallons of 8% bleach from Walmart (the Great Value Walmart brand), Borax and Baking soda. I have removed all the leaves that I can see, there were quite a few, and plan on attacking the pool tomorrow. I guess my question is - am I on the right track?

You want to add some cyanuric acid/stabilizer/conditioner/CYA (I know many names, same stuff). Raise the CYA level to around 30 to start. Without CYA you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight rather quickly.

Other than that, you seem to have things well in hand :goodjob:

Great screenname! Welcome! :wave:

You're on the right track if you have the right test kit ordered. The first dose is easy. But shock level for zero CYA is 10. Will the tester you have read that high?

Personally, I'd nail that pool right now, take it up to 10 FC. You won't lose any to the sun now, and so you'll get maximum algae killing out of what you add. The FC will no doubt be much lower or even non-existent in the morning, and you can recheck pH and adjust it then and then hit it with bleach to 10 FC again.

While that first dose of the day is killing, go buy some stabilizer. By the time you're back, it'll be time for more bleach and it can be working for you while you measure out the stuff and put it in the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.