Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - No Chemicals Yet - Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - No Chemicals Yet - Help!

Just got our pool filled and the pump running, now I am not sure what to do. I know I need to add chlorine, but I don't know how much and the pool math calculator doesn't seem to like the 0 reading I put in for chlorine. Everywhere else I read says that I should shock it. I wanted to get advice here first. I just have strip tests right now but will order a test kit. Thank you!

Above ground 27' round 17,100 gallons. Cartridge filter and dual speed pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - No Chemicals Yet - Help!

Welcome to TFP!!!

You put the 0 in the NOW column and your desired level in the TARGET area. Read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ool-calculator

You should target 2ppm for the FC and get some CYA in the water (targeting 30-50ppm)

Definitely order one of the Recommended Test Kits?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

What does the test strip say for pH? They're usually fairly close on that test. You might need to raise or lower pH a bit to prevent eye and skin irritation.

With zero CYA, 2 or 3 is plenty high as a target for FC. So add whatever bleach it says to add, and then come back in and go to http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html and get yourself equipped for the rest of the summer. When the stores open tomorrow, go buy some stabilizer (CYA aka Cyanuric Acid) and add it using the sock method.

What chemicals to use and how to add them is here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for all the quick responses! The test strip showed that the pH was actually acceptable. I have a starter box of chemicals from the pool store but didn't want to use the shock unless it was recommended here. I do have plenty of liquid bleach too. I also have some CYA and will add it with the sock method.

5. Back To Top    #5

I had zero chlorine last night and it told me to add 1 quart 5 ozs of bleach.
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

6. Back To Top    #6

Remember, put your CYA in a sock and dangle it in front of the return jet and give 'er a squeeze every now and then. It can take it a week or so before it fully mixes into your water so don't test it until then. But once the sock is empty you should assume its at the level you want and adjust the pool math CYA field so you will then be adding the amount of bleach according to your new CYA level.
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks so much everyone! I tested this AM and pH is still good and free chlorine is at target now. The only thing is the TA is still high around 180. I read in the pool school articles that I shouldn't worry about getting the TA down unless I am having a problem with pH or with the CSI. I don't have a drop kit yet so I can't tell what the CSI is. Should I just leave that alone for now?

27' round above ground 17,100 gallons, cartridge filter, dual pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by joeiii3 View Post
    Thanks so much everyone! I tested this AM and pH is still good and free chlorine is at target now. The only thing is the TA is still high around 180. I read in the pool school articles that I shouldn't worry about getting the TA down unless I am having a problem with pH or with the CSI. I don't have a drop kit yet so I can't tell what the CSI is. Should I just leave that alone for now?

27' round above ground 17,100 gallons, cartridge filter, dual pump
    TA is what you adjust when you're bored and want to play with your Junior Scientist Playset. Unless you're at imminent risk of scaling or you're having to add acid every day to maintain pH, ignore it. You only need to know it to calculate acid dose for pH adjustment.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks so much Richard!