New to TFP - TF100 kit n Speed Stirrer

Jun 13, 2014
toledo/ohio
Lookin for some expert help from u guys. 27' round ABG, 17,500 gal, Jacuzzi CFR-750 2-speed pump, pool assembled in 2001. Been usin frogger system for last 8 yrs ready to goto BBB. Just received TF100 test kit n I picked up the speed stirrer too. Here's numbers from first test: FC - 0; CC - .5; CH - 250; TA - 60;
pH - 7.5; CYA - Filled vial to the top n I was still able to see the black dot??? Did that test twice same results??? Pool water looks good, clear, but needs to be vacuumed again. Frogger reservoir is still hooked up and I did put an old mineral cartridge in there just cuz I was initially goin to follow the same course of action I have for the last 8 years. Spent $150 on the new mineral PAC, the BAM algaecide and frogger chlorinating pac....took it all back n bought up sum bleach, borax n bakin soda. Obviously I need to up my numbers but lookin for sum guidance. Thanx in advance.

Being that your FC is so low you will need to SLAM.
I think think the pH is fine.

Read Pool School (upper right) especially the SLAM process.
Looks like your CYA is 0, so you need some stabilizer in there to raise the CYA, use Pool Math to see how much you need, shoot for 40. According to my calc, you need close to 6lbs, I would add 4 pounds via the sock method and then start the SLAM assuming the CYA is there, (the test might not show it for a week) you can add more later if it's needed. Adding CYA is easy, removing it means removing water.

Some helpful info on the frogger. Some will say remove it, but I wouldn't. I have one still installed. I would remove the old mineral cartridge from the frogger, it's still adding metals/minerals which you don't need. I would drill some holes in it and remove the minerals. This way once it is empty, you can place it back inside to enable you to still use chlorinating pac, BUT ONLY for vacations. I do this knowing my CYA will rise slightly from the pac, but I take that into account. I actually took my old chlorinating pac and cut it in half. I then fill it with tabs from walmart/etc and use electrical tape to seal it up. This works great for a week vacation to keep my pool from going green.

I'm sure you will have more questions, just post here and we'll take it step by step.

You will be so happy you have the TF-100, I have it too and it's worth it's weight in gold.

Welcome! :wave:

I would question that CYA test in light of the mineral pack. When you mixed the reagent with the pool water, did it get any cloudiness at all?

Looks like all you need is some bleach and a little tiny bit of baking soda and some CYA if the test results are certain. You should have that all done in half an hour. Bleach, fuss with the CYA sock, and then toss in some baking soda and go swimming.

Thanx for all th insight guys! I gotta do more readin! Richard320 - No cloudiness at all on th CYA test. In regards to th speed stirrer...how long should I b mixin th chems each time th TF100 kit calls for chems to b mixed?

- - - Updated - - -

Rick6668 - Great ideas w th frogger n chlor pacs too, will def b followin ur advice!

15-20 minutes should be enough for chemical additions to the pool to mix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.