Pump noise...

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
Well today I started my pump up and its making a loud squealing type noise. After a few minutes it got about 75% quieter. But its still noticeable. I bled the system out and I also still notice tiny bubbles coming from the jets. :(

I did a little searching and to answer my own question I suppose its bearings? I also read something about it possibly being a propeller or air in the system. Which made me a little curious because of the tiny bubbles. I posted in another thread I had trouble each time restarting because the pump basket would be out of water. It was suggested the seal might be leaking on it or something. We would let it run for 30-40 sec and it would finally top back off but now I am thinking it could of caused the bearings to get damaged? Would running the pump dry that short of time damage it?

Anyhow my Daughters grad party is tomorrow, worst possible time for this to happen. How hard is it to repair the bearings / seals, do you guys think this is whats causing it? I bled the air out of the system using the air valve on top of the filter housing. Not sure if air can get trapped in pump somehow and contribute to its noise?

Also does anyone know how much it usually costs to have them repaired? Would I be better off buying new one? The system is a Hayward but the pump says AD Smith Centurion switch-less motor. Guessing the previous owners had replaced the original at some point? (pool is 10 years old)

Thanks for the help!

It does sound like bearings. with the party going tomorrow I would just let it run 24x7 until the party is over if the noise isn't too bad. You can replace the bearings (tear down .. put back together with a new seal kit etc.) or just replace the motor. If you go with motor replacement take a look at 2 speed, it will same some serious $$ in electric costs.

30-40 seconds at a time dry is not going to hurt anything.

AO Smith Centurion is the OEM motor on lots and lots of pumps - it is probably original.

Can you give us more details on your pool and the full specs from the pump and motor faceplate?

Well today I started my pump up and its making a loud squealing type noise. After a few minutes it got about 75% quieter. But its still noticeable. I bled the system out and I also still notice tiny bubbles coming from the jets. :(

I did a little searching and to answer my own question I suppose its bearings? I also read something about it possibly being a propeller or air in the system. Which made me a little curious because of the tiny bubbles. I posted in another thread I had trouble each time restarting because the pump basket would be out of water. It was suggested the seal might be leaking on it or something. We would let it run for 30-40 sec and it would finally top back off but now I am thinking it could of caused the bearings to get damaged? Would running the pump dry that short of time damage it?

Anyhow my Daughters grad party is tomorrow, worst possible time for this to happen. How hard is it to repair the bearings / seals, do you guys think this is whats causing it? I bled the air out of the system using the air valve on top of the filter housing. Not sure if air can get trapped in pump somehow and contribute to its noise?

Also does anyone know how much it usually costs to have them repaired? Would I be better off buying new one? The system is a Hayward but the pump says AD Smith Centurion switch-less motor. Guessing the previous owners had replaced the original at some point? (pool is 10 years old)

Thanks for the help!

Eh, you can replace the bearing or just replace the whole motor. It cost me about $150 total. Of course, my pump was severely corroded (and loud!).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.