Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump noise...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump noise...

Well today I started my pump up and its making a loud squealing type noise. After a few minutes it got about 75% quieter. But its still noticeable. I bled the system out and I also still notice tiny bubbles coming from the jets.

I did a little searching and to answer my own question I suppose its bearings? I also read something about it possibly being a propeller or air in the system. Which made me a little curious because of the tiny bubbles. I posted in another thread I had trouble each time restarting because the pump basket would be out of water. It was suggested the seal might be leaking on it or something. We would let it run for 30-40 sec and it would finally top back off but now I am thinking it could of caused the bearings to get damaged? Would running the pump dry that short of time damage it?

Anyhow my Daughters grad party is tomorrow, worst possible time for this to happen. How hard is it to repair the bearings / seals, do you guys think this is whats causing it? I bled the air out of the system using the air valve on top of the filter housing. Not sure if air can get trapped in pump somehow and contribute to its noise?

Also does anyone know how much it usually costs to have them repaired? Would I be better off buying new one? The system is a Hayward but the pump says AD Smith Centurion switch-less motor. Guessing the previous owners had replaced the original at some point? (pool is 10 years old)

Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump noise...

It does sound like bearings. with the party going tomorrow I would just let it run 24x7 until the party is over if the noise isn't too bad. You can replace the bearings (tear down .. put back together with a new seal kit etc.) or just replace the motor. If you go with motor replacement take a look at 2 speed, it will same some serious $$ in electric costs.

30-40 seconds at a time dry is not going to hurt anything.

AO Smith Centurion is the OEM motor on lots and lots of pumps - it is probably original.

Can you give us more details on your pool and the full specs from the pump and motor faceplate?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
    Well today I started my pump up and its making a loud squealing type noise. After a few minutes it got about 75% quieter. But its still noticeable. I bled the system out and I also still notice tiny bubbles coming from the jets.

I did a little searching and to answer my own question I suppose its bearings? I also read something about it possibly being a propeller or air in the system. Which made me a little curious because of the tiny bubbles. I posted in another thread I had trouble each time restarting because the pump basket would be out of water. It was suggested the seal might be leaking on it or something. We would let it run for 30-40 sec and it would finally top back off but now I am thinking it could of caused the bearings to get damaged? Would running the pump dry that short of time damage it?

Anyhow my Daughters grad party is tomorrow, worst possible time for this to happen. How hard is it to repair the bearings / seals, do you guys think this is whats causing it? I bled the air out of the system using the air valve on top of the filter housing. Not sure if air can get trapped in pump somehow and contribute to its noise?

Also does anyone know how much it usually costs to have them repaired? Would I be better off buying new one? The system is a Hayward but the pump says AD Smith Centurion switch-less motor. Guessing the previous owners had replaced the original at some point? (pool is 10 years old)

Thanks for the help!
    Eh, you can replace the bearing or just replace the whole motor. It cost me about $150 total. Of course, my pump was severely corroded (and loud!).
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

4. Back To Top    #4

If you've got time, you can change out the bearing your self, but you can pick up a refabricated motor pretty cheap. Go with a 2 speed you'll save money, also don't forget to change out the shaft seal. Once they start leaking, the motor will be shot pretty quick.
    Here's a video on the general procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dswCzYlmNE
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida