Mike59

Mike59

Jun 13, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I am excited to be here and finally take some control over my pool.
I have been reading through different threads and I know more now then I have in the 15 years I had my pool. (still have much to learn)

I am done with the stores! I never understood how important pool chemistry was. I'd look at my dip sticks and estimate what to throw in.
Or I'd go to the pool store and do whatever they recommend.

For the last 3 years I have been fighting with keeping chlorine levels. People would tell me my water is "locked" because other than lowering the level for winter, it's never been fully changed since the pool was installed (20 years ago). Others would say there is no such thing as locked. Some would say I don't have any stabilizer. Last year a place told me everything would be fine if I put CYA in. I did....lots. Went back and still no reading.......told me to put more in (actually gave it to me for free and guaranteed it would work). Well it did!!! My CYA went up to near 150.
No one ever mentioned how important ph was.

I've been going to Leslie's for years. This last time the guy said your CYA is 100. You need to drain your pool and stop using stabilized cholorine (Chlor-Brite). I said last time I was here that is what you guys have always recommended. Plus 3" pucks. He said I needed to use Powder Plus. I said I just spent over $100 on Chlor Brite. He flipantly just said, well that's up to you. I'm just telling you what you need to do.

Now I know.

I ordered my K-2006 DPD kit but won't get it for a week or two (should have ordered it from here...sorry, didn't know at the time).

Right now 2 pool stores said my CYA is 100 and one said 90...so I know its high.
My ph was 7.1 and 6.8....so I know its low.

I decided to drain about 1/3 of my pool (in progress as I write this) and will be refilling with city water (hose) this weekend.
Water company only charges $3.73/1K gallons. Sewer company charges flat rate regardless of use. So I'm really happy about that!

I'm going to buy some Bleach and Borax and keep on hand.

I will start a thread once I get the pool refilled and have some numbers to report.

Thank you to everyone for dedicating your time and expertise to those who were always scared to understand the right way to care for our pool.

Mike

15K gal, IG Vinyl, DE filter (more data to come in my signature)

Thanks for the welcome guys!

The pool is clear. The one pool guy said he wouldn't recommend draining, but I'm tired of seeing CYA that high.

It's a slow drain. I hooked up a hose to my sliding board connection in the ground and running pool pump (I have a floor drain). The hose is running up to my kitchen drain (don't want to flood the neighbors or get a ticket for putting water in street drains).

I plan to drain approx. 1/3 of the pool...will make sure to keep water at least a couple feet in low end.

I will hold off on Borax.

Welcome! :wave:

Hey, does your local pool store have one of these to help them advise the customers?
attachment.php

Until you get a kit with results you can verify you may want ot hold off on that drain and fill. Pool stores get the CYA wrong more often than they get it right.

Richard, not sure what you are asking. Sorry.

Chris V.....I had several pool stores all test CYA over the last 1.5 years and its always been high. I'm ok with draining...it'll only cost be about $20 for the water per the water company. And it's only a partial drain.

Richard is the local giggle maker (AND has forgotten more about pools than I know). He's insinuating in his own unique way that any pool store advice is entirely random, subject to revision and generally as accurate as throwing darts blindfolded. Also instead of like Wheel of Fortune where you win something, your pocket book is siphoned.

Congrats on finding the best place to help you take control of your pool and welcome! :handwave:

Richard, not sure what you are asking. Sorry.

Chris V.....I had several pool stores all test CYA over the last 1.5 years and its always been high. I'm ok with draining...it'll only cost be about $20 for the water per the water company. And it's only a partial drain.

Cool - just wanted to make sure you were "in the know". At $20 I would do the exact same thing to get a jump start on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone. Let me know if I should start a new thread.
Discouraged this morning. After draining 1/3 of water and refilling CYA hasn't moved.
Since I didn't get my test kit yet, I went to 2 stores that tested this morning.
Here is their readings. At this point I don't want to drain again until I do my own readings but want to know your suggestions on what to add now.
I bought Bleach: sodium Hypochlorite 8.25% and a box of Borax and soda powder.

Store 1 and store 2 readings:
Ph 7.2 & 7.2
FC 0 & 0
TA 85 & 70
CH 150 & 80
CYA 100 (same place was 90 prior to drain/fill) & 95
TDS ? & 600
phosphates ? & 200

I'll learn to use calc, but just want suggestions on best way to start.

Bleach? How much?

Thanks and Happy Father's Day!

2 options: Get some FC up to match your "current" cya level and wait on the test kit. OR: Drain another third and refill and match FC to 60ish cya level. I'd probably do another partial drain.

I'd just get some chlorine in your pool till the test kit arrives. Pool store CYA results are not often reliable. Perhaps add enough bleach to get to the appropriate level for the CYA readings you've gotten, but until you get an accurate self test, it's hard to make good recommendations.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. That will be my plan. Thanks for the link to the chart. I'm going to add chlorine. I tried to run the exe file for amount of chlorine but it doesn't run on my apple device. I'll start with half a gallon and check in 4 hours. Sorry for being so needy!

Your cya could be 20 or 200. Key is ... Don't trust the pool store.

Pool math is linked in my signature or in the blue bar above, it isn't an exe (it's a web page) so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support