Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE maiking past filter into the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

DE maiking past filter into the pool

For the last few weeks, I keep finding DE in the pool. I dissembled the filter but I did not find any tears in the grids. For giggles, pony'd up the money and bought new grids anyway. I recharged the filter and guess what,.......I still have DE in the pool. What gives?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE maiking past filter into the pool

are you premixing the DE in a bucket?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    are you premixing the DE in a bucket?
    Yes and I make sure to slooooooooowly only pour a little at a time so it doesn't shoot past the filter either. I'm stumped.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a couple of different problems that can cause this. Torn grids is the most common cause. Still, there are several other possibilities. If there is a problem with the main valve it can allow DE to bypass the filter and get into the pool. Typically that would be caused by a bad spider gasket in a multi-position valve, though something more serious could be wrong with the main valve.

There are also a couple of places inside the DE filter where DE can leak past. There are several o-rings that must be present in the correct position to seal things together. It is also possible for one of the pipes or the manifold to be cracked.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have an attached spa? If it is at a higher level than the pool (typically with a spillover) it could also be the check valve. To test, once the pump stops, shut off the spa altogether. If de continues to emerge, it's not the valve.

16,000g in-ground plaster pool, attached spa, BBB, DE Filter, SWG