Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Standard Vacuum with Intex Ultra Frame (How To)

1. Back To Top    #1

Standard Vacuum with Intex Ultra Frame (How To)

I looked for some ideas on using a regular vacuum with my intex ultra frame pool and didn't really come up with much that I could do without ordering parts online. So here is what I did and maybe it will help some of you too.

I went to lowes and picked up the cheapest vacuum head, a 25' x 1 1/4 vacuum hose, and a couple PVC fittings. After that all I had to do was attach them together and my filter now powers my vacuum. I don't know what the PVC fittings are called but here is the pictures.

After attaching the fitting to my inlet on the pool filter I just feed the air out of the vacuum hose and attach it to the PVC fitting. It works like a charm and I no longer have to deal with trying to scoop the small particles off the bottom of the pool with the skimmer net. The whole set-up including an extender pole cost me about $65.

I hope this helps at least a couple people.
    Intex 14x48 Ultra Frame 4,600 Gal
    1,000 gph Intex cartridge filter
    TF-100
    Savannah, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Standard Vacuum with Intex Ultra Frame (How To)

Thank you, was wondering if it were possible. Is there anything identifying on the label that says what it is that goes on the inlet? I had been considering trying to dimantle my over the side skimmer to use for a vacuum. Glad I won't have to.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The receipt says it a 1 1/2" PVC union. I just looked for something about the right size while I was there and didn't think to look at what it was called... Sorry about that.
    TF-100
    Savannah, GA

4. Back To Top    #4

That looks like a good part to have found that screws on the inlet properly. I already got the blue one from Intex and am using it it with an old vacuum hose and head from a summer escapes pool. My question is, how do you keep the big pieces of debris from falling back into the pool when you disconnect the vacuum from the inlet?
    16' round Intex Ultra Frame, Sand filter, filled May 25, 2014

5. Back To Top    #5

Everything I vacuum goes into the filter. The biggest thing I have in the pool at anytime is a blade of grass. Those get stuck on the screen to the inlet but the filter is still running so they stay there until I can pick them out.
    TF-100
    Savannah, GA

6. Back To Top    #6

That makes sense, thanks. I have only vacuumed once so far, but I think I shut off the pump before removing vacuum which was my mistake.
    16' round Intex Ultra Frame, Sand filter, filled May 25, 2014

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same hose and vacuum head but all I do is unscrew the blue over the wall skimmer adapter and stick one end of the vacuum hose directly into the pool intake after I use the return to fill the hose up with water. I only have a 16x48 so I can easily get the entire surface without pulling the hose out of the intake.
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

8. Back To Top    #8

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Names of fittings added

Quote Originally Posted by RonW84 View Post

Union (centre) and barbed adaptor (lower right)

Union - disassembled

Barbed adaptor

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for that abigail!!!
    TF-100
    Savannah, GA

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I have a ton of the orange fluffy things from our pine trees. Hoping to get the stuff today, and start vaccuuming tonight. I might vaccuum to waste as to jot make a mess of the filter. We have had a lot of rain the past week, it wont hurt.

11. Back To Top    #11

I only have the 1,000 gpm standard pump. Does it work for this?

12' x 24' (21100 gal) Doughboy Desert Spring w/ Deep End, Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed,
    Hayward S210T Pro Series, Hayward H100ID1 H-Series , Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Salt, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Wraenking View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had that pump and I couldn't get it to work. I upgraded to the Intex sand filter and it's been great for filtering and to vacuum.
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I couldn't get the union to thread on very far... Did you have any trouble?. Also, my local Lowes did not have the barb adapter in stock. Traveling tomorrow, hope to find one there.

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice find, is your inlet the standard intex inlet? This is the fittings I have. Hope it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

15. Back To Top    #15

Question: If I have visible sand on the bottom of my pool, wouldn't that clog my filter? I have 18'X48" Intex Ultra Pool, very new pool owner! Have the cartridge filter A. Thought I would need self-contained vacuum to get this off bottom. Also bottom very bumpy, poor landscaper used sand under pool. Suggestions? Thanks

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Wraenking View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I can get it to work but I have to move slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl

I couldn't get the union to thread on very far... Did you have any trouble?
    Mine fits fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabo

Question: If I have visible sand on the bottom of my pool, wouldn't that clog my filter? I have 18'X48" Intex Ultra Pool, very new pool owner! Have the cartridge filter A. Thought I would need self-contained vacuum to get this off bottom. Also bottom very bumpy, poor landscaper used sand under pool. Suggestions? Thanks
    I have the same "type A" filter but I clean my filter after I vacuum... so no it does not clog it

My pump is not very strong so I have to move slowly but I have figured out that if i get in the pool and put my goggles on and use the hose without the vacuum head like a shop-vac I can get every grain of sand off the bottom. I would imagine the bigger sand filter would make a huge difference but Im not upgrading unit next season.
    TF-100
    Savannah, GA