Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Daily Duties

1. Back To Top    #1

Daily Duties

Good afternoon everyone,

So i finished my shocking, pool is great beside the birds that keep pooping in it.. So now the game is to keep my chlorine levels up according to the charts, keep the pool clean and scrub once a week. Is that it? Should I shock once a week? Or as long as my level are good the pool is good? Please bare with me first year just using liquid chlorine and I want to make sure I am doing it right.

Please and thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Daily Duties

Did you complete the SLAM process on your pool? I saw you had another thread on here where that is detailed/started.

You need to pass the three SLAM criteria before going into "maintenance" mode.
    1. CC is 0.5 or less.
    2. OCLT <1 FC
    3. Water is crystal clear.

Once you've passed those three, then you can go into normal daily maintenance of keeping the appropriate level of FC for your current CYA level. See the chart here: Chlorine - CYA Chart. If you always keep FC in the proper range, you should never have to shock/SLAM again.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes the slam is completed. That must have been an old thread from last year.

Awesome I didn't realize it was so easy.

thank you

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by joe111 View Post
    Yes the slam is completed. That must have been an old thread from last year.

Awesome I didn't realize it was so easy.

thank you
    Yep, just realized that thread of yours was old. Keep that FC and you're golden. Cheers!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Most ongoing maintenance is weekly, but you should be checking TC and pH daily and adjusting accordingly. Only takes a couple of minutes.

Once you get to know your pools appetite really well, you may be able to back off to every other day.
    21K gallon, plaster, 1hp Hayward MaxFlo pump, Hayward 244s sand filter, 3/4 hp Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rterickson View Post
    Most ongoing maintenance is weekly, but you should be checking TC and pH daily and adjusting accordingly. Only takes a couple of minutes.

Once you get to know your pools appetite really well, you may be able to back off to every other day.
    Or test every other day and add the normal amount on the other days without testing. You will need to keep records for it is to easy to mesa up this way. ..oh, today is Saturday? Guess l missed Thursday somehow.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

Check and dose daily and you should never have to SLAM the pool until you close it to get through winter mode. I sweep and brush once a week.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to the forum!

Once you are on track with consistent FC levels there will be no need to shock weekly. One of the great pool store myths.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem