Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vetting Injection Pump Configuration

1. Back To Top    #1

Vetting Injection Pump Configuration

Requesting some feedback on on my proposed Stenner Injection configuration. After too much time spend researching, the Stenner pump/tank combo just seems like an easy route to go. I am thinking a straight up 3GPD pump (less moving parts compared to adjustable unit and a less expensive), 7.5 Gallon Tank to treat my ~13,500 Gallon pool.

Scenario:

Pump is already on Intermatic Timer, controlling duplex outlet, which pump and Woods timer would plug into, runs for 10 hours per day on low speed (hardwired timer)
    Stenner Injection on Woods Timer 50015 (Battery Backup Timer, set to run daily within Intermatic cycle)

Intermatic runs pump
    Stenner will ONLY run when two condition are met:
    1. Intermatic is 'ON'
    2. Woods Timer is 'ON' (battery backup would keep track of time in case of outage, won't run if pump timer is not in 'ON' cycle)

Would love to get a new digital multiport programmable Intermatic, but the Woods solution is $20 vs. $200 for a new timer assembly. That will make a nice upgrade if/when the existing Intermatic ever fails.

All I should have to do is figure out how long to run pump per day and monitor...

Thanks in advance.
    13,500 / AG / Vinyl / Hayward 150 sq ft Cartridge / 1HP 2 Speed / Born in 2009
    Intermatic Timer / Stenner 10GPD + Woods Timer / Former LQ (3/8 upgrade and SMC Valves) 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vetting Injection Pump Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Mwjman1 View Post
    All I should have to do is figure out how long to run pump per day and monitor...
    Start with 4 hours and see how it goes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mwjman1 View Post
    Requesting some feedback on on my proposed Stenner Injection configuration. After too much time spend researching, the Stenner pump/tank combo just seems like an easy route to go. I am thinking a straight up 3GPD pump (less moving parts compared to adjustable unit and a less expensive), 7.5 Gallon Tank to treat my ~13,500 Gallon pool.

Scenario:

Pump is already on Intermatic Timer, controlling duplex outlet, which pump and Woods timer would plug into, runs for 10 hours per day on low speed (hardwired timer)
    Stenner Injection on Woods Timer 50015 (Battery Backup Timer, set to run daily within Intermatic cycle)

Intermatic runs pump
    Stenner will ONLY run when two condition are met:
    1. Intermatic is 'ON'
    2. Woods Timer is 'ON' (battery backup would keep track of time in case of outage, won't run if pump timer is not in 'ON' cycle)

Would love to get a new digital multiport programmable Intermatic, but the Woods solution is $20 vs. $200 for a new timer assembly. That will make a nice upgrade if/when the existing Intermatic ever fails.

Thanks in advance.
    The only very minor issue I see is that its possible for the filter pump to fail and the stenner could still be feeding chlorine. A flow switch could solve this, but again, its very minor issue.
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same size pool and injection pump and run it 6 hours a day on 5, so Mark's estimate of 4 hours for the fixed pump should be about right to start with.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the 10 gpd. Shorter runtimes.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there an advantage to shorter dosing times, like pump and tube will last longer = less maintenance? I have not ordered pump yet.
    Intermatic Timer / Stenner 10GPD + Woods Timer / Former LQ (3/8 upgrade and SMC Valves) 2012

7. Back To Top    #7

I like to think so ... I have no actual evidence. I figure less wear and tear with 2 short run times a day.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Theoretically, the pump (or at least the mechanical parts like the motor and rollers) will last longer (due to shorter run time meaning less wear & tear), since Stenner pumps all use the same mechanical parts - the different pumping rates are from the different size tubings.
    How long the tube lasts is a function of various factors including temperature, humidity, and UV exposure, so it may not necessarily last longer. However, replacing the tube is much cheaper than replacing the mechanical parts, especially the motor.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    Theoretically, the pump (or at least the mechanical parts like the motor and rollers) will last longer (due to shorter run time meaning less wear & tear),
    Yes but the current/power and RPM have an affect on motor life too. Heat is the biggest enemy of a motor. Peristaltic pumps generally use DC motors so you can change the RPM by changing the drive voltage. Lower voltage = lower RPM = lower power = lower heat so I would argue that although the motor runs longer, it is running under much less load and heat so I would expect it to last longer than it would if cycling it more often at higher RPM and higher power.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

If I'm not mistaken the difference between the 3gpd and 10gpd is the tube. Rpm/current/power should reman the same. The only delta should be run time.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes but the 10 GPD will still draw more power than the 3 GPD and generate more heat.

It isn't much different than pool pumps.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Ordered up a Stenner 10gpd with tank, timer, now impatiently awaiting its arrival. Thank you all for the input, will update once installed.

13. Back To Top    #13

Stenner is installed! So far, working well, in monitor mode. Since I have the extra timer, I am currently injecting twice a day and tweaking as I go.

While the tank is of good quality, I don't like the fact that the Stenner tank is recessed near the fill spout - it holds water in the rain - mosquito breeder in the making.

It was sad to remove a 'like-new' LQ for the Stenner, but with my pump configuration and debris challenges, I think I am going to enjoy the Stenner.

Thank-you for all of the input.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    The only very minor issue I see is that its possible for the filter pump to fail and the stenner could still be feeding chlorine. A flow switch could solve this, but again, its very minor issue.
    You could get a current sensing relay. If the pump is not drawing a load nothing turns on. Someone on here has that type of setup to turn on SWG only when pump is on.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.