Need help protecting new vinyl liner from me

Tom K

Jun 11, 2014
Central Missouri
We had a new vinyl liner installed this week and I am about 3 hours away from starting the pump and beginning treatment of the pool. My utmost priority is not making a mistake that could stain or otherwise damage the liner. The pool dealer that installed the liner tested the water yesterday with these results:

TA - 289
pH - 8.1
Hardness - 293
FC - 0
TC - 0
CYA - 0

The analysis that came with the test recommended:

1) Add 3 pints of muriatic acid a day for up to 12 days unless Ph drops below 7.2 (it doesn't say what to do if that happens)
2) Add 3 or 4 lbs. of stabilizer
3) Add 1.5 qts. of scale inhibitor
4) Add 1 lb. of Super Soluble shock
5) Add 19 ozs. of algaecide (I have always used polyquat 60 as an algae inhibitor)
6) Begin running 3" tabs in the chlorinator

I have Taylor test chemicals, test strips, and an OTO/ph kit and my results are consistent with the above numbers.

I have used Borax and baking soda in the past but have always relied on tabs for chlorination.

I realize pool treatment is an inexact science and opinions differ, but I would appreciate any advice that would help with a successful start-up and hopefully simplify the process. I am concerned about the high alkalinity and also the proper sequence and time frame for adding chemicals.

Thanks for looking at my post and any assistance you might provide.

Welcome!

Read the ABC' s in Pool Water Chemistry and you can also read Lowering TA. It will help keep your pH more stable. You can do that after you adjust your CYA to 30-50ppm. Look at the FC/CYA chart for how much FC to run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.