Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new SWG system....which one?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dix Hills, NY

new SWG system....which one?

We just purchased a house with a huge inground, trilevel pool- approx. 50,000 gallons.

We are converting the pool to saltwater.

We had 2 different systems recommended to us:

Hayward Aqua Plus PL-4 Salt System with 2 40k cells
    Auto Pilot Pool Pilot Digital w/ CC-15 Manifold, model DIG-15

On our last pool (18x32 semi inground, so approx. 16k gallons) we used the Pentair IC40 with an Easy Touch 8. I liked it, but had a lot of electronic difficulty with the panel. It worked for the first 2 years and then it seemed like there was a motherboard failure and basically only worked as a timer from that point on. it couldn't register the salt level and I couldn't even change the clock or the amount of time to run the pump, etc....

We think we decided on the Hayward set up.....looking for opinions....

thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Tucson, AZ

Re: new SWG system....which one?

I'm no expert, but if I had to do it again (I own a Pentair IC40), I'd opt for the Auto Pilot system. I believe they're built a bit sturdier and the replacement cells cost much less than the others. Good Luck!
    19,000 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot, Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: new SWG system....which one?

Those are both good brands. AutoPilot tends to be more expensive and has additional features. The extra features are very nice, but not essential. For example it tends to display error messages in english rather than in error codes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School