Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove Pool Lights?

1. Back To Top    #1

Remove Pool Lights?

Am battling FC SLAM issues in another thread...one suggestion is to clean behind pool lights...can anyone quickly tell me if I can easily do myself? My concern in looking at videos, etc. to change lights it seems to get fairly involved...

Is it simply make sure pool light breaker is off, remove a screw or 2, pull out, brush, etc. (perhaps let dangle in pool while SLAMMING?) and simply put back in, tighten plate screw?

Thx!!!
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remove Pool Lights?

Many lights come out with one screw and can be moved to the deck for cleaning. Some use the pool water to clean but I have heard of some using a bucket on the decking.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I pulled mine out just last week and the dirt behind the light in the niche was quite a lot. I really think it has contributed to my CC's as I've left it open for the past week waiting to put in a new light. The gunk/dirt has been slowly escaping into the pool since I took it out, at least that's my theory.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

4. Back To Top    #4

Pulled them out, LOTS of stuff...letting them float while continuing SLAM process...
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Those lights are notorious for hiding algae. I'm cleaning the niche behind my light monthly so far and for sure every year before closing and when opening in the future.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons