Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question on flow direction

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mexico, MO

Quick question on flow direction

Until recently, I've had the water flow in my round pool going clockwise, that is to the left standing outside of the pool.

I'd had problems with floating debris gathering in the center, making me have to use the skim net to remove it.

Currently, I have the flow going counterclockwise, and not having the floating debris build-up in the center.

Either direction, it is about equal between the nearest return and the through-wall skimmer. With the fence around our yard and trees, wind direction & speed is extremely variable, and doesn't seem to be a factor.

Can anyone tell me why it would work better one way and not the other?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Quick question on flow direction

I'm not sure but I'd use it the way it best suits your needs!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tulsa, OK

The first thing that comes to mind is the Coriolis Effect. The earth is rotating at a constant angular velocity from west to east, but the linear velocity is different at different latitudes. At the equator a point on earth moves more during a given time period than, for example, a point at a latitude of 40 degrees. So, if an object that is nor firmly attached to the earth, such as some water, moves north (in the Northern Hemisphere), it will have a velocity towards the east that exceeds that of the ground below it. If it moves south, it will be moving west with respect to the ground. In the Northern Hemisphere that means a moving object will tend to go in a clockwise direction. In the Southern Hemisphere it will tend to go in a counter clockwise direction.

That is my first thought. I really don't think that is what is going on, but I don't have any better explanation.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

The Coriolis effect is so small that you can completely ignore it.

Prevailing wind direction is the only significant effect. If that doesn't decide things, then either way is just fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School