Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Enormous inground pool that needs serious attention

1. Back To Top    #1

Enormous inground pool that needs serious attention

We moved to this house 8 months ago. When we did the preclosing walk thru, the previous owner told us the heater (oil) wasn't working, there was an issue with the electric so the 220 pump couldn't run and he was now using a 110 pump. Both pumps were single speed and the filter was a Hayward DE 4820 with a multiport. There also seemed to be an issue with the robot vacuum. It was late August, 2013 so we used the pool for 2, maybe 3, weeks then closed it. We knew this spring we would have to spend some $$$ on fixing/changing, converting to saltwater, etc....

The pool is a vinyl inground, 18'x42' with a 20'x18' "L"....it is a tri-level, gallonage is approx. 50,000 gallons.

This is what we have picked.....

New Loop-Loc Liner.....
    18’ x 42’ with 18’ x 20’ “L” Including:
    • Removal of Liner, Re-Trowel Base of Pool, New Skimmer & Return Gaskets, New Faceplates
    • Installation by Factory Trained Professionals (Licensed and Insured)

Aqua Plus PL-4 Salt System (two 40k cell system) with Automation. Installed with Salt
    Hayward Tri Star VS Pump… Installed
    InterFab Adrenaline Slide, left turn… Installed with footings and water hook-up

As it turns out, when we opened the Hayward filter, we found it was duct taped together, so we are changing the filter and upsizing it. the Hayward multiport was inspected and found to be good.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION:

Which filter?

The pool company doing all the above (slide/liner change/salt/pump) recommended quad cartridge for the easier maintenance, so Hayward C7030 (which is $1400 with any replumbing and labor, but not including any parts) or if I wanted to stick with DE, then the DE7220 (for $1325, including labor, no parts).

We did have a pool in our last house, semi-inground, 18x32 with a SWG and a Hayward perflex bump DE filter, so I do know about the backwashing and we used aquaperl. But the pool here is 3x the size (gallons-wise) as my last pool! I am afraid to switch to cartridge for fear that this huge pool won't be clear enough. I did some internet research and see that Pentair makes a hybrid.... Quad DE 100 filter. Does this seem like a better choice? Pool company only does Hayward, so they didn't have an opinion on the Pentair, they could get it for me (they didn't detail the cost), but I'll assume it is in the same $1300/$1400 range as the Haywards.

Anyone have first hand experience with any of the filters I've mentioned? Any other constructive thoughts/opinions/critiques/criticisms are totally welcome....
    I've got to make a decision by Monday.

thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Enormous inground pool that needs serious attention

Welcome to the forum.

Larger pools seem to use more sand filters than anything else. You don't mention that as a possibility.

I do not have enough knowledge to comment on the types you are considering.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome, and I hope you hang around.

While I don't have any direct experience with it the Pentair Qaud DE seems to have a good reputation online, as to the pump is there a particular reason for picking the Tri-Star VS?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Issac, should I be going with the Ecostar VS instead? It's a $200 upgrade. Or do you have another suggestion?
    Tri-level, IG vinyl, 18'x42' with 18'x20' "L", 58,000 gallons. Loop-loc liner, SWG Hayward AquaPlus PL-4 with (2) 40k cells, Inter-Fab Adrenaline left turn slide. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward C7030 (8 cartridges!). Novice pool owner!

5. Back To Top    #5

Not really, it kind of depends on your plumbing setup, head resistance, etc. which is hard to say without knowing more, but you don't seem to have any special water features.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

nope, no water features- no water sprays or waterfall or spa. we are installing a slide (adrenaline slide by interfab) in the next few weeks.

so I'm ok with the tristar...or is it worth the $200 for the ecostar?

thank you for your help!!
    Tri-level, IG vinyl, 18'x42' with 18'x20' "L", 58,000 gallons. Loop-loc liner, SWG Hayward AquaPlus PL-4 with (2) 40k cells, Inter-Fab Adrenaline left turn slide. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward C7030 (8 cartridges!). Novice pool owner!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd get a big 'ol sand filter. When I operated a small commercial pool for an apartment complex, it used sand filters. Nothing to change or wear out.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

8. Back To Top    #8

at that size ... I would go sand. That said I have zero knowledge of the filters you are looking at.

Personally I prefer DE to cartridge if you are sticking with those 2 options.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit