Modified SLAM due to heavy travel schedule

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Ok, so I will start by saying I know this is WRONG but I have no choice.

Due to my travel I am never home more than 2 days in a row.

I CHART by chems religiously and use the Stenner to keep my pool perfect.

UNTIL THIS YEAR - opened pool in cold, SLAMed it - perfectly clear and passed OCLT on second night....then been maintaining ever since.

HOWEVER, when I finally had a chance to breath - I've noticed I have been using MORE CHLORINE than normal and my levels have been spikey. I never fell below 3 FC for my CYA of 40, but I have higher than normal Chlorine demand. I thought I might have had bad bleach, etc...so tried switching that out. But to no avail....

Also, normally our pool is HEAVILY used....just for fun I'll note this.

Well, I come home from my trip yesterday and pool was not used all week due to wife taking son to visit her mom, etc. GUESS WHAT...pool is crystal clear as always - but I can see a tinge of green on a few of the steps and a walls. Nothing heavy, but nevertheless I need to SLAM.

NOW - after all that my question. (sorry - figured this background might help)

Water Last Night (didn't have spare bleach to start SLAM)

FC - 7
CC - .5
CYA - 40
pH - 7.6

This Morning

FC 4.5
CC - 0
CYA - 40 of course
pH 7.6

However - I am only home for TODAY - then I leave at 5 PM, back on Sunday - home Sunday night, then leave Tuesday, etc...you get the story.

Is doing a modified SLAM even worth it, or should I just try to maintain to prevent all out outbreak and then take a vacation to try and be home for 3-4-5 days to do SLAM the right way.

Modified SLAM meaning take up to 16 FC today....then let stenner inject heavy dose (will have to guess) - come back Sunday raise to 16, Monday keep at 16 then see if I pass OCLT on Monday night...or is that a waste and if I can't do it the right way I am just burning through Bleach for no reason.

Any more questions just ask and sorry if this is long winded...just trying to give all the facts.

Is there any way your wife can help you on this?

I guess I would set the sterner to provide a higher level of FC for a couple days and do as much SLAM as you can today. Your travel slam may take longer but I would guess you could finish it when you get home.

I understand completely. My hubby refuses to do anything with the pool but he loves to swim in it. lol Can't have it all... lol

I guess I would set the sterner to provide a higher level of FC for a couple days and do as much SLAM as you can today. Your travel slam may take longer but I would guess you could finish it when you get home.

Ok, I will bring it up to 16 today...monitor...try to see if I can figure out loss...then increase Stenner run times to try and maintain a high level of Chlorine...worse case is that I will have a super high chlorine level.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I just figured out what is going on.

I MUST HAVE AMMONIA - now the puzzle is clear.

TONS of snow/ice/rain over the winter, plus super deep freeze. I drained water out multiple times to combat overflow.

Started the zero with near 0 CYA - ended last year with 40

But since I passed SLAM test and Pool was Clear I never gave it a second though...brought CYA back up to 40 and wondered where all my Chlorine is going.

I know how to solve, but with my travel schedule...oh boy.

I went to a local fish store and they had no ammonia test, so I will keep looking. Meanwhile any other tips, just yell!

I went to a local fish store and they had no ammonia test, so I will keep looking. Meanwhile any other tips, just yell!
PetSmart and PetCo carry ammonia tests. My local PetSmart has a whole range of drop based color matching tests. Around the same time, I discovered that people on fish forums don't really trust test strips either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.