May 2, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a strange question....

My pool is fine. Water looks awesome. Had a ton of kids in it and nothing bad happened. Test showed it "healthy" before and after...

Here is what I am noticing. After I go in the pool my skin feels dried out. I also notice that when I dip my hand in the pool and rub my fingers together it is like they are sticking....

If you know what "soft" water from a water softener feels like, this is the opposite.

My pool water always tests fine...

FC - Fluctuates from 2.5 to 3 at each daily test, in the evening. I always add liquid chlorine to maintain a level of 5
CC - Never more than .5, most of the time it is 0
PH - always seems to read just at 7.5
TA - always at 100
CH - right around 90
CYA - 40

It never has drifted from these numbers once I had it stable after opening. The other thing is it didn't feel like that last year.

Is there something wrong? Should I add something to "soften" the water... I don't want to upset the wonderful balance I have but if there is something I can do , I will.

You can try and add salt and see how that feels for you.

Dry skin sounds like apH problem but you say that is fine. How is that tested?

Any chance you got a different chlorine? Perhaps with additives? Ever use algaecides?How about over spray from yard chemicals? Tree spray, bug spray, stuff like that?

Thanks for the quick replies.

You can try and add salt and see how that feels for you.

Interesting because I thought the same but being so new to this I have no clue how much to add..... or what impact it will have on my other readings.

Dry skin sounds like apH problem but you say that is fine. How is that tested?

Any chance you got a different chlorine? Perhaps with additives? Ever use algaecides?How about over spray from yard chemicals? Tree spray, bug spray, stuff like that?

I test PH with the Taylor PH test that comes with the TF100 kit. My liquid chlorine is "Austins Pool Tech Shock". I made sure to read the bottle before I bought a bunch of it. It says "Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% , other ingredients 87.5%". From what I read on here that is just "super bleach".

With kids and pets I don't use many chemicals on my plants or trees. I use a sprayer and really only mess with some of my landscape beds. None of those are anywhere near the pool. Heck, I haven't even used any kind of cleaner on the top rail of the pool.

Now, I did close my pool last winter still being "pool stored". They had me use a winter kit that contained some sort of powder, a slow release trichlor container, and a bottle of algaecide.

I tried looking up the kit they sold me but I can't find it. I didn't keep any of the packaging so don't know what was in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.