Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dry skin

1. Back To Top    #1

Dry skin

I have a strange question....

My pool is fine. Water looks awesome. Had a ton of kids in it and nothing bad happened. Test showed it "healthy" before and after...

Here is what I am noticing. After I go in the pool my skin feels dried out. I also notice that when I dip my hand in the pool and rub my fingers together it is like they are sticking....

If you know what "soft" water from a water softener feels like, this is the opposite.

My pool water always tests fine...

FC - Fluctuates from 2.5 to 3 at each daily test, in the evening. I always add liquid chlorine to maintain a level of 5
    CC - Never more than .5, most of the time it is 0
    PH - always seems to read just at 7.5
    TA - always at 100
    CH - right around 90
    CYA - 40

It never has drifted from these numbers once I had it stable after opening. The other thing is it didn't feel like that last year.

Is there something wrong? Should I add something to "soften" the water... I don't want to upset the wonderful balance I have but if there is something I can do , I will.

Vinyl AG Aqua Leader Influence 18' x 54" 7,650 Gallon, Hayward SwimPro CC1500 Cartridge Filter 100gpm w/ 2.0HP Hayward SP150Z1ESC Pump, Installed May 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dry skin

You can try and add salt and see how that feels for you.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Dry skin sounds like apH problem but you say that is fine. How is that tested?

Any chance you got a different chlorine? Perhaps with additives? Ever use algaecides?How about over spray from yard chemicals? Tree spray, bug spray, stuff like that?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    You can try and add salt and see how that feels for you.
    Interesting because I thought the same but being so new to this I have no clue how much to add..... or what impact it will have on my other readings.

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona View Post
    Dry skin sounds like apH problem but you say that is fine. How is that tested?

Any chance you got a different chlorine? Perhaps with additives? Ever use algaecides?How about over spray from yard chemicals? Tree spray, bug spray, stuff like that?
    I test PH with the Taylor PH test that comes with the TF100 kit. My liquid chlorine is "Austins Pool Tech Shock". I made sure to read the bottle before I bought a bunch of it. It says "Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% , other ingredients 87.5%". From what I read on here that is just "super bleach".

With kids and pets I don't use many chemicals on my plants or trees. I use a sprayer and really only mess with some of my landscape beds. None of those are anywhere near the pool. Heck, I haven't even used any kind of cleaner on the top rail of the pool.

Now, I did close my pool last winter still being "pool stored". They had me use a winter kit that contained some sort of powder, a slow release trichlor container, and a bottle of algaecide.

I tried looking up the kit they sold me but I can't find it. I didn't keep any of the packaging so don't know what was in it.

Vinyl AG Aqua Leader Influence 18' x 54" 7,650 Gallon, Hayward SwimPro CC1500 Cartridge Filter 100gpm w/ 2.0HP Hayward SP150Z1ESC Pump, Installed May 2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

For salt you add up to about 2,000 ppm. It will not have an impact on your other readings. Assuming you are starting at zero salt, that would be about three 40 lb bags.

You could also try adding borates.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Put the 3 solar salt bags in - you can get it at Lowe's for about $5 a bag of 40 pounds. You will be amazed at the difference your skin feels after you get out. You only have to add it once each season.
    10,000 gallon inground vinyl FOXX pool - built in 1999. Hayward sand filter. 3/4 HP 2-speed pump with timer. Hayward Aquarite SWG t-3 cell. Love the BBB method - pool has never looked better!