Free chlorine 0

Jun 9, 2013
Beacon, NY
Hello All, I just opened my pool my water is 99% clear but for some reason I have no FC I am guessing it is because of my CYA numbers my tc is 2.5 fc is 0 ph is 7.5 ta is 100 cya is 20. I added 2 bags of shock so that I could get the cya in the water for the initial opening I know using the bag shock will drive up your cya that is what happened last year before I found tfp I checked my numbers and then added 1 bottle of bleach and then another and then a half of a bottle and after that I checked my numbers and those are the results that I just gave you. So should I continue to add bleach and whats is a good cya a number for NY I am in beacon, ny on the hudson river? Thanks for your help

You will need a CYA of 30-50ppm and it will all depend on how much sun is hitting the pool daily. I run 50ppm because my pool gets 12 hrs of sun a day. Once you adjust the CYA, then you can start your chlorine additions in relation to your CYA and if they keep dropping, then keep adding chlorine until you get to your target FC.

Is it dichlorYou can use it but I'd watch how much so you don't over shoot the CYA. I don't mess with powdered chlorine as it sits on the bottom of the pool floor. I go right for the CYA and dump it in a sock and manipulate it over the return and I'm done.

+1 on Caseys point about the "shock". I would only use bleach for the FC and straight CYA powder put into a sock and hung over your return jet. Squeeze it a few times throughout the day and let it do its thing. Just remember, it can take about a week for the CYA to fully dissolve and register in a CYA test so be patient.
BUT, once its all in the water and out of the sock, assume your CYA to be at that new level for the purposes of determining your FC level...but don't retest the CYA for a week after its all in.

You can or you can buy it at WalMart. It's called Stabilizer/Conditioner. You can pick it up in the pool aisle. :goodjob:

Looking over your numbers again, I'm a little concerned with what you posted: "TC is 2.5, FC is 0". I will defer to the more experienced experts on here but FC + CC = TC, so that tells me with NO FC level in your pool, you have a CC level of 2.5. THAT is a huge concern. If that is true, its an indication of algae as the acceptable range for CC is 0 to 0.5, anything above that is a problem.
What test kit are you using? Are these numbers recent?

Looking over your numbers again, I'm a little concerned with what you posted: "TC is 2.5, FC is 0". I will defer to the more experienced experts on here but FC + CC = TC, so that tells me with NO FC level in your pool, you have a CC level of 2.5. THAT is a huge concern. If that is true, its an indication of algae as the acceptable range for CC is 0 to 0.5, anything above that is a problem.
What test kit are you using? Are these numbers recent?

Good catch, Iceman :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.