Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free chlorine 0

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Free chlorine 0

Hello All, I just opened my pool my water is 99% clear but for some reason I have no FC I am guessing it is because of my CYA numbers my tc is 2.5 fc is 0 ph is 7.5 ta is 100 cya is 20. I added 2 bags of shock so that I could get the cya in the water for the initial opening I know using the bag shock will drive up your cya that is what happened last year before I found tfp I checked my numbers and then added 1 bottle of bleach and then another and then a half of a bottle and after that I checked my numbers and those are the results that I just gave you. So should I continue to add bleach and whats is a good cya a number for NY I am in beacon, ny on the hudson river? Thanks for your help
    Beacon, NY installed June 2011 8000k gal 18x52 round vinyl AG 150 sf cartridge filter 1.5 hp proline pump, aquabot rover hybrid cleaning machine tf-100 test kit and aqua check test strips. Pool school.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Free chlorine 0

You will need a CYA of 30-50ppm and it will all depend on how much sun is hitting the pool daily. I run 50ppm because my pool gets 12 hrs of sun a day. Once you adjust the CYA, then you can start your chlorine additions in relation to your CYA and if they keep dropping, then keep adding chlorine until you get to your target FC.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. My pool is directly in the sun so I will shoot for 40ppm and see how that does. Is it ok to use the granulated bags of shock to get the CYA up? I have only use 2 bags since opening the pool.
    Beacon, NY installed June 2011 8000k gal 18x52 round vinyl AG 150 sf cartridge filter 1.5 hp proline pump, aquabot rover hybrid cleaning machine tf-100 test kit and aqua check test strips. Pool school.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it dichlorYou can use it but I'd watch how much so you don't over shoot the CYA. I don't mess with powdered chlorine as it sits on the bottom of the pool floor. I go right for the CYA and dump it in a sock and manipulate it over the return and I'm done.

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 on Caseys point about the "shock". I would only use bleach for the FC and straight CYA powder put into a sock and hung over your return jet. Squeeze it a few times throughout the day and let it do its thing. Just remember, it can take about a week for the CYA to fully dissolve and register in a CYA test so be patient.
    BUT, once its all in the water and out of the sock, assume your CYA to be at that new level for the purposes of determining your FC level...but don't retest the CYA for a week after its all in.
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok it is dichlor. Can I get powdered CYA From the pool store?

7. Back To Top    #7

You can or you can buy it at WalMart. It's called Stabilizer/Conditioner. You can pick it up in the pool aisle.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looking over your numbers again, I'm a little concerned with what you posted: "TC is 2.5, FC is 0". I will defer to the more experienced experts on here but FC + CC = TC, so that tells me with NO FC level in your pool, you have a CC level of 2.5. THAT is a huge concern. If that is true, its an indication of algae as the acceptable range for CC is 0 to 0.5, anything above that is a problem.
    What test kit are you using? Are these numbers recent?
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanVA View Post
    Looking over your numbers again, I'm a little concerned with what you posted: "TC is 2.5, FC is 0". I will defer to the more experienced experts on here but FC + CC = TC, so that tells me with NO FC level in your pool, you have a CC level of 2.5. THAT is a huge concern. If that is true, its an indication of algae as the acceptable range for CC is 0 to 0.5, anything above that is a problem.
    What test kit are you using? Are these numbers recent?
    Good catch, Iceman
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yall have taught me well.