rust around skimmer question

Jun 6, 2014
NYC
hello I have recently bought a house with a pool installed in the yard. I have some work to do like find a leak, patch it and my problem I am having now is I noticed the old skimmer was broken and had rust all around it I bought a new skimmer installed it and now I still see the leak coming from the bottom of the skimmer so I read the direcetion again and I seen it says I can put cement around the gaskets before I install them so my question is can I use pool putty or waterproof silicone. put a bead around both sides of the gastket and install skimmer. my other question is the rust a problem does it weakean the pool. its not that bad just around the skimmer it is. is there anything I can put on the rest of the rust so it wont countiune to rust. any information would be helpful thank you I have pics I just keep getting an error when I try and upload it.

Hi Chris and welcome.

More than likely, the rust came from a very old gasket that was ignored and or just not replaced in a timely fashion. You can certainly add a small bead of caulking around the gasket. It may or may not help. If the rust is really bad and starts to interfere with supporting the skimmer, you can patch the skimmer hole and return with sheet metal and rivots and re cut a skimmer hole and return in another spot. Yes, it is work but it can be done. If that is something you're interested in down the road, I'm sure someone can help you accomplish that. :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP! Hope you enjoy the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.