Using the Liquidator With A Variable Flow Pump. Not Enough Chlorine?

crosley

Mar 27, 2014
Arizona
I purchased a Liquidator and I really like it, except for the fact I have trouble "feeding" the pool enough as I have my pump set low (the main reason you buy a variable flow pump)

I use an IntelliFlo and I did have it around 1,100rpm, but barely anything was trickling in from the Liquidator so I've found myself increasing the rpm.

Has anyone found a "sweet spot"? I know I'm not going to be able to get the maximum efficiency out of my pump, but does something like 1,500 rpm get enough of it to properly chlorinate? I have 2" pipes.

I currently bumped it up to 1300rpm, and according to my flow meter, I'm getting between "2 and 3" on the meter with the valve fully opened and the 3/8" upgrade kit.

Any tips would be appreciated.

If you have an automation system, one thing you can do is install an actuated valve on the suction of the pump and set the stops so it only closes partially and then have the automation close the valve whenever the pump is on low speed.

You can do the same thing manually by partially closing the suction valve, but you have to remember to reopen it whenever the pump is going to run at a higher speed.

I have the same dilemma. I have a solar system so my pump runs at a higher speed to heat the pool. I don't have a good solution for you. Each pool is different, you just have to experiment and find the balance point where you get sufficient chlorination with minimal pump speed.

If you have an automation system, one thing you can do is install an actuated valve on the suction of the pump and set the stops so it only closes partially and then have the automation close the valve whenever the pump is on low speed.

You can do the same thing manually by partially closing the suction valve, but you have to remember to reopen it whenever the pump is going to run at a higher speed.

Well I experimented by partially closing the suction valve, and it did make a difference, my flow gauge is now at the "3" mark. So that's roughly a 50% improvement.

My concern is, is this "hard" on the pump. The watts the pump is drawing looks roughly the same and there seems to be no issues of water starvation. Just wanted to make sure I'm not shaving years off my pump using this method of increasing the pressure.

I have a gate valve that is both after my filter and after my "in" line that goes to the liquidator that I partially closed.

Partially closing the suction valve isn't going to hurt your pump. You're just artificially adding some suction head to the system by doing that. It would be nice to automatically operate that valve, but manually doing it is fine as long as you open it if the pump is going to run on high speed for a length of time. That won't really hurt the pump, it just reduces the flow you'll get out of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.