Minimax 400 starting issue

Jun 12, 2014
Lebanon
I have a Minimax 400 pool heater. Its been very reliable and was installed in 2000. When I turn on the heater for the pool or spa, it clicks multiple times and usually does not light. I can leave it on as long as I want and it will not start.

If I take off the front panel and try turning it on again using the switch on the unit, it will then take several attempts but will eventually light. It will run properly as far as I can tell in terms of heating the pool or spa to the preset temp. The inside of the heater is clean and there is no debris around the heater or the air vents.

If I turn the heater off and then turn it back on within a few minutes, it will light up quite easily.

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? I would like the heater to light with confidence and consistency as I have a Jandy unit and can control it from the house whenever I would like to pre-heat the spa. As it currently runs, I need to go out to the heater and remove the door and try multiple times using the spa/pool heater switch on the unit to get it to light.

I'm very handy but I was hoping someone might be familiar with this issue and start me in the correct direction.

Welcome to TFP Heatwave! :wave:

I am not sure of your problem but it sounds so frustrating! Someone with more knowledge will be around to help!

:bump:

I'm not making any connection with removing the door and the unit lighting unless there is an air flow issue thus not allowing the combustion to happen correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.