Ool Newbie - Notice there's no "P" in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so it looks like you have no chlorine in the pool which is to be expected with all of the green, eating stuff in it.

Interesting that your strips say that much stabilizer (CYA). I would trust your test using the kit you just got.

Now test your PH. I like to hold my tester up in front of a white plate in a brightly area. I use my over stove light for this.

IF your PH is 7.2 you can start your SLAM! IF it is higher you will need to bring it down. If it is lower you will need to bring it up. Pool Math will be able to help with this.

How much chlorine/bleach do you have on hand?

You are SO close to a clear pool with your test kit!

Kim

Okay so your FIRST step is to lower your PH. You use muratic acid to do that. Your PH might be higher that 8.2 so........be ready.

Please be very careful when using MA. I go as far as wearing clear glasses but that is me..

You can retest after 30mins. of adding MA to find your new PH level.

Kim

Last edited:
Pool Math is now your best friend. Use it. Play with the numbers. Get familiar with it.

Use it to calculate how much CYA you need to add to get to 30. If you saw the black dot all the way to the top you have 0 ppm CYA right now. Put the granular CYA in a sock (without holes), tie off the top and either suspend it from a string/rope held with a weight in front of a return jet in the water. Or you can put the whole sock in a skimmer. Return method will dissolve faster. Use more than one sock if needed. You likely will with your pool volume and I can only get maybe 4 lbs (64 oz) in a long knee high soccer sock I use. Assume you now have 30 CYA in your pool. Test for CYA again after it has dissolved for at least a few days.

Get that pH to about 7.2. Below 7 is too far. Above 7.4, add more MA. Do this first before bringing up FC to SLAM procedure.

Now get enough bleach in your pool to get to SLAM level. Use the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school to determine your SLAM FC based on the chart. Test every 30 minutes to and hour as much as you can and keep bringing FC up to SLAM level.

As far as the FAS-DPD test goes... if it doesn't turn pink at all after adding powder and mixing for 20 seconds, you have no FC. It may gradually turn pink after that if you let it sit. Even if it doesn't turn pink, you can add 5 drops of the R-0003 solution to test for CC. If it doesn't turn pink after adding that, you have 0 CC. If it does, add drops of the R-0871 to determine CC.

Read Extended Test Kit Directions. Lots of tips for testing to get you more comfortable.

Update for all as this thread is racing once again. Current results are as follows..........

PH 8.2
TA not stated
CYA 0-20
CH 320
FC 0

At this point the OP needs to do this as follows.......
Decrease pH to 7.2
Increase CYA to 30
Increase FC to 12

I've talked to OP via PM and she currently doesn't have acid to lower the pH. I've suggested to add 3 gallons of bleach tonight after sunset.

Lynzizle - for the cya test did you follow the instructions to fill the first bottle halfway with pool water, fill the rest of the way with reagent. Shane... Wait 30s dshake again then fill the tube?

Cya is the single most important test right now.

You need to get it right for the rest of our advice to be accurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you calculated how much bleach to add to get to slam level based on a cya of 0?

Also have you calculated the amount of muriatic acid to add to get your pH to 7.2?

Add 3 gallons of bleach and buy 1 gallon of acid. We'll calculate how much acid to add once you buy it.

Do NOT add any acid at this time.

At this time I am going to close the thread down and give this member help via PM. I wish to thank all whom helped this member, and PLEASE continue to watch for this thread in the future. I promise you there will be additional issues that pop-up that I'd like some additional help on.

Thank you all for your help!
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.