Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Pure w/ Fusion Soft 1400

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Pure w/ Fusion Soft 1400

Hi,

Hoping to get some insight here. I have a brand new pool that is about 40 days old. It is 13,500 gallons. This past Monday, the builder came out and put in (4) 40 lbs bags of salt. His instructions were to check the salinity (button C) tomorrow and add the necessary amount until I get between 3.0 and 3.5 gpl. Here is what I did:

On Tuesday morning => It read 2.3 gpl, so I added (1) 40 lbs bags of salt. I checked that evening and it read 2.7
    On Wednesday morning => It read 2.7 gpl, so I added (3/4) 40 lbs bags of salt. I checked at lunch and it read 3.2. I checked at dinner and it read 3.2. I checked at around 7pm and it read 3.2
    This Morning => It read 3.1 gpl, so I did not add any salt. I came home at lunch today and read HH with code 145. This code states I am over 4.0

How can this be?? I did have to shock the pool last night....not sure if this is a factor. I will take a sample to be tested at a store to see what the salt level is at, but wanted to get some advise here.

Thanks,
    Doug

P.S. - I have, and have had, the chlorine production set to 0%

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Pure w/ Fusion Soft 1400

Do you run the pump for 24 hours after each salt addition? It takes salt a while to fully mix into the water. It also takes the sensor in the SWG a while to get a stable reading.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would let it run for another day and see if it settles down. I'm not sure but the could have been a surge of high salt water that made it to the sensor and it triggered the code. If that is all of the salt that was added, then you should be in the 3000 range.

If there is a calibration button for the sensor, hold it in for 5 seconds after the system has been running for a least 5 minutes.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Jason. No, I have not been running the filter pump 24x7....just 8 hours a day. I was told I didn't have to, but now think I should. I will keep it on. I'm hoping this code goes away. Again, this morning I was 3.1 gpl and the readings have been very consistent and fairly stable.....this reading today is crazy and unexplainable. I would understand it if it happened on the first day when 4 bags went in.

Ping, I don't think there is a calibration button. After I saw this code, I let it run for a while and re-checked several times over 10 minutes and still got the HH/145 code. I then turned off the power for 10 seconds. After turning on, I noticed "wait" in small letters in the bottom right of the screen and that didn't disappear for about two minutes. After it did, I check the salinity....still HH/145.

Kinda bummed....I went salt because I've heard so many good things.....to me, I'm starting to feel this is another failure point....not a good start.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to clarify: You only need to run the pump for 24 hours to make sure the salt is fully mixed in. There is no need to run anything like that long for normal operation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Understood Jason. Got a reading of 2,700 ppm at the pool store. Very disappointed in the SWG....looks like I have a "problem machine". Going to call service tomorrow. Thanks guys.

7. Back To Top    #7

I usually get a spike and code when I add salt. It's often immediately too. I used to add it in all around the pool, but found any that winds up on the slope or deep end gets sucked in the bottom return and this causes the spike in concentration. If I dump it in the shallow end, it may take a little longer to dissolve, but I don't bombard the sensor with a high salt concentration.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

Salt should always be added in the shallow end and brushed afterward to disperse evenly.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

9. Back To Top    #9

Usually you have to turn off the SWCG for 24 hours with the pump running the entire time to mix the salt. I have a Jandy and adding salt with the SWCG running can damage the power center on the Jandy units. I am not sure about other brands but I would read the instruction manual carefully. When our pool was built the builder sent out a guy to start up the pool. He added several bags of salt with the unit running. It failed the first day.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    Usually you have to turn off the SWCG for 24 hours with the pump running the entire time to mix the salt. I have a Jandy and adding salt with the SWCG running can damage the power center on the Jandy units. I am not sure about other brands but I would read the instruction manual carefully. When our pool was built the builder sent out a guy to start up the pool. He added several bags of salt with the unit running. It failed the first day.
    Any chemical added the SWG should be turned off including salt and thanks for catching that in my post I neglected to put across that information.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by dubele View Post
    P.S. - I have, and have had, the chlorine production set to 0%
    This is as "off" as it's going to be. That is the correct setting when adding salt and high concentrations would not harm the unit set at the 0% setting. It sounds to me that your tri-sensor is bad or the board reading the sensor is bad (probably unlikely). Did you try to remove the sensor from the cell and maybe give it a little inspection/cleaning?
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM