Should skimmer opening have alot of suction for cleaning up flies / gnats

Jun 12, 2014
KISSIMMEE
Hi everyone. I'm new to the in ground pool game and not sure if the skimmer opening should be have a lot of power suction for bringing in dead gnats, small black flies that are floating around the pool edges.

I noticed after heavy rain past couple of days a lot of gnats have been floating 5-6 inches outside of the skimmer opening. Hundreds of them, smaller than an ant size, just floating and not actually inside the skimmer opening. Is this normal or should the skimmer opening actually be sucking them inside?. I can clean them up from the pool with a pool net just wondering if this is pretty normal.

Also when vacuuming the bottom of the pool it does pick up the dirt so no issues there.

There are universal ones that have spring loaded feet to hold them in place. The ones I have seen seem awfully flimsy though. IMO, would be best to get the one that should be on your skimmer, but that is a little more difficult to figure out.

Just measure the width of the opening and see if you can see any places where screws might go.

SORRY. My mistake. I should of checked better.. but their is a skimmer door. It only goes down about 3 inches by itself. To open the door all the way down i have to do it by hand. It's like there is not enough water pressure to push the door all the way down

Is this about right?

It should not open all the way ... the point is to force the water from the surface into the skimmer. So it should only draw back and down a few inches.

Do you have any other suction lines? A floor drain, of so, how is it plumbed? Maybe there is a valve for the floor you should close to force more skimmer suction?

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Here's my equipment information

Pentair 1 HP (single speed) Model# #196238
Vac-Alert SVRS
Sta-Rite system filtration Model: PLD70
Pentair Model 320 automatic chlorine Bromine In-Line feeder

Everything seems to be working right except it feels like the skimmer does not have a lot of suction power
Bunch of small flies/gnats are always just floating outside of the skimmer instead of inside the skimmer when the pump is on.

Not sure if it's cause maybe their is a leak, need to get more horsepower or need to move the valve in a certain direction?

I keep my valve in the middle but i also noticed when i moved the black valve by the skimmer to the left it gave more power to the skimmer at front of pool and started to give a little better suction

rldvl5.jpg

scx5dk.jpg

209mvcg.jpg

34e9990.jpg

jakf95.jpg

[imghttp://i62.tinypic.com/zvvf5l.jpg[/img]
2iu24ar.jpg

2pyp0y0.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.