Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Lock help

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Lock help

Hi I am new to this forum. I am having a problem and am tired of throwing away $$$ to the pool store.
    My pool pump went out and it was 2 months before I could purchase another. My pool was thick with algae since I have it around many trees. I dipped leaves and then used gallons of bleach until it turned a milky green. I then added proteam shock and had to phosfloc. I let it settle and over the course of a week it became clearer letting it settle and vaccuming. It is now crystal clear but am told I am in a chlorine lock. I dont have an at home test kit other than test strips and will try to make a trip to walmart this afternoon.
    My test results are from the pool store. ( I used this pool store because they are usually good as I dont have to dump many chemicals in my pool during the year. they are usually very conservative)
    Total chlorine- 1.8
    Free Chlorine- 0
    ph- 8.4
    total alkalinity-95
    calcium hardness- 275
    stabalizer 75
    Shock treatment- 1.8
    I have added 8 bags of proteam quick shock yesterday. I was told to add 4 test 4hours later then add again if needed. I got 2 rounds finished and it was overnight. tested again this am and there is no chlorine...Oh and I did add severest algae treatment which is copper based algaecide.
    Please help!

Can I add just gallons of bleach instead of shocking?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Chlorine Lock help

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can use plain bleach, but you will have to do a little reading to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. Take a look at Pool School, starting with the link in my signature.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

You should get your PH down below 7.8 before adding any more chlorine.

Also, you should read how to SLAM your pool, in the How To section of Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Well.... I guess I'll give you the bad news.

"Chlorine Lock" is a term the pool stores uses to mean "We loaded you up so high on CYA that the amount of chlorine needed to be effective is mind-boggling." Your CYA (stabilizer) level is already 75, which is too high for a manually chlorinated pool. And guess what - that ProTeam Quick Shock is Dichlor, which has added even more CYA.

To fully address everything would take hours and hours of typing, and the answers are already in Pool School. What you need most is your own test kit - a proper one. You won't find anything at Walmart that can measure the chlorine levels you will need to completely eradicate the algae for once and for all and keep it away. That is the starting point. While you anxiously await the kit's arrival, read Pool School until you feel like this

Start with some lighter reading, recent success stories!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!