Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: painting itchy fiberglass filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Yucaipa CA

painting itchy fiberglass filter

I have a 8+yr old Pentair DE filter that sits out in the sun. The outside of the filter has degraded because of the UV rays. If i touch it or rub up against i itch something terrible. I am building a shed over it soon but i want to paint it with something. What kind of paint would be the best without spending too much or harming the fiberglass undernieth.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: painting itchy fiberglass filter

You can spray it with a clear coat finish for plastic or fiberglass that is rated for outdoor use.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

You know, I might consider spraying mine as well ... Arms are always covered in red spots when I am not careful.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You can spray your arms with hairspray instead. Learned that tip right here!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I nominate you to experiment and tell us what works.

I've contemplated doing just that, myself. I'm just not sure what spray paint will stick.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!