Pool safety Inspection Question

Jun 1, 2014
Bluffton, SC
We have scheduled the Safety Inspection prior to Plaster for our pool build in a couple of days, and my PB has told me we only need to install alarms on the doors and windows with direct access to the pool, AND that do not have Automated Rolladen Shutters. Currently I have installed those shutters in all but 7 windows(there are lots of windows in my house)
Do you think that we will pass the inspection like this?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thank you JasonLion. I guess I asked the question incorrectly. The seven windows and doors that can be open and do have access to the pool is where I already installed the alarms on. My question is whether or not I need to install alarms on the windows and doors with Rolladen Shutters that do have access to the pool area.

I don't think the Shutters constitute a barrier or alarm. If the bottom of the window is less than 48" off the grade I think you need self closing with an alarm. Your PB can help with the rules.

I would duscuss this with the inspector when he comes out. This might might qualify as a alternative means, but I have may doubts. Relevant code below.

804.0 Secondary Access Barrier Requirement.
An additional barrier that isolates all openings in the dwelling unit from the pool or spa shall be erected. The barrier shall be a minimum of forty-eight (48) inches (1219 mm) in height and shall not allow the passage of a sphere four (4) inches (102 mm) in diameter. All gates shall be self-closing and latching at the top of the barrier. No other device shall impede operation or obstruct the closing of self-latching gate.

Exception 1:

Self-closing and self-latching devices installed on all openings in dwelling unit that provide direct access to the pool or spa. Openings to include doors; operable windows with a sill height of forty-eight (48) inches (1219 m) or less; and pet doors allowing the passage of a sphere of four (4) inches (102 mm) in diameter. 20

Exception 2:

An alarm installed on all openings in dwelling unit that provide direct access to thepool or spa. Openings to include doors; operable windows with a sill height of forty-eight (48) inches or less; and pet doors allowing the passage of a sphere of four (4) inches (102 mm) in diameter. The alarm shall be listed to meet UL Standard 2017 for Residential Water Hazard Entrance Alarms. The alarm shall sound continuously for a minimum of thirty (30) seconds within seven (7) seconds after the door is opened, and be a minimum of capable of providing 85 dB when measured indoors at ten (10) feet (3.05 m) (10'). The alarm shall automatically reset under all conditions. The alarm shall be equipped with a manual means, such as a touch pad or switch, to temporarily deactivate the alarm for a single opening. The deactivation switch shall be located at least fifty -four (54) inches (1372 mm)
(54") above the threshold of the door.

Exception 3:
A laser or light beam activation alarm installed that provides an active beam barrier across the access to the pool from the dwelling unit or installed around the entire perimeter of the pool
. The laser or light beam must have an adjustable height capability and sound an alarm of at least eighty-five (85) dB both inside and outside of the home when the beam is crossed. The alarm must automatically reset
after alarming. The alarm shall meet ASTM’s Provisional Standard Specifications for Pool Alarms (PS 128-01) and be listed.

Exception 4:

Power safety covers installed that comply with ASTM F1346
-

Exception 5:
An alternate means or method approved by the Building Official provided the degree of protection afforded is equal to or greater than that afforded by a secondary barrier

The little window alarms are so cheap I wouldn't risk not passing inspection by not putting them on. From your PBs wording it sounds like you probably don't need them on the shuttered windows but it wouldnt' be the first time a contractor was wrong. I wouldn't take that chance over something so minor.

Thanks everyone for chipping in. Inspector came, only look at two of the windows with access to pool that I installed alarms on. Asked me if all the other had them to. I said yes. Went out to pool. Looked at equipment. Walked around the deck, and off he went. We passed. He was not there more than 5 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.