Swap Return Jet For Slotted Type on AGP with single return?

Sep 2, 2011
Nanty Glo, PA
Hello, back for opinions / suggestions again. Setup is a standard 24' AGP, single return jet, bottom drains and of course a skimmer. I used to have a return jet assembly with a built in light which directed water to the side along the wall instead of my now standard return jet eyeball with 3/4" opening (looking online it appears to be a Hayward SP1419D) which I can't direct much to the side (also sick of the dumb eyeball falling out so easily). So I'd like to replace the jet with the slotted type which I believe will help increase circulation. I am looking at Hayward part# SP1419A, but I am wondering about the flow out of what looks like a smaller opening. Is the flow out of this slotted one very close to what I have out of the standard eyeball one? Is it a direct replacement? This is NOT a pool with multiple returns.

Also while I am posting this issue, I am experimenting more with turning my return jet up for aeration in order to bring my falling pH up (my pH slowly falls over the course of about 2 weeks - guessing from about 7.6 to 7.3 in 2 weeks time). I am finding that even with as much aeration as I can create by turning that jet up (which is a lot), the pH hardly goes up at all. This is with no solar cover in the way of the jet either. Any ideas? How quickly should serious aeration cause my pH to increase?

Thanks,
Garry

If it's the threaded one, it's standard 1.5 inch you have several options. You can get a 1.5" threaded plug from Home Depot/Lowes, and drill it out with a 1/4" bit or bigger, and aim the water the way you want. Drill on the side of the flat part so it aims towards the wall.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1-...eanout-Plug-C4818HD112/100346681?N=5yc1vZbuwz

They make a 1.5" threaded elbow, use some 1.5" PVC, and a cap that you drill and voila you've got a fountain. I'll try to post images of what I made. Works well.
threaded_90.jpg

Thanks for your reply. I didn't get notification of the reply so I didn't see it until now. Interesting idea drilling the plug.

Anyway, I did order a couple of the Hayward part# SP1419A slotted return jets. I asked a local pool store about swapping them and they looked at me like I had two heads (like they never heard of the slotted return jet). Once received, I didn't like the small opening and the lip at the edge (some forum posts stated that this lip causes water disturbance in the flow. So I took one of my new slotted jets and filed the lip off while also filing the opening bigger. Once installed I could tell that the water "fans out" more than with the eyeball (makes perfect sense) so it feels like there is less pressure until you move your hand up very close to the opening. My pressure gauge on my filter isn't working correctly (displaying wrong values, not returning to "0" when off) but I'm seeing about a 3/4 PSI increase from the old eyeball return to this new slotted one. (I think my old eyeball has a 3/4" opening.)

Here are a few photos (captions above photo):

New slotted return:
IMG_5014_zps0ad294a8.jpg~original

Unmodified:
IMG_5015_zpsa4873bd5.jpg~original

The "lip" from the inside:
IMG_5016_zps586c636c.jpg~original

New unmodifed return next to my eyeball return:
IMG_5018_zpsf7a7212c.jpg~original

Modified slotted return next to an original unmodifed and the eyeball return:
IMG_5019_zps910d5672.jpg~original

Detail showing the lip filed away:
IMG_5023_zpsf266f72a.jpg~original

I do have circulation (tested floating a noodle and watched it rotate around the pool albeit slowly), but I am wondering if the "fan" pattern of this slotted return is actually decreasing circulation. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps I should consider a more homemade option like the drilled cap idea. One thing to note, I did NOT test the slotted return before modifying (of course I can swap it for the 2nd one I bought which is still original.

Also, I've figured out the aeration issue (at least with the old eyeball jet). I've been able to increase my pH only with aeration and keep it there. It's started to get too high, so I've eliminated the aeration to allow it to come back down. I'm not sure how well the new slotted return will work for aeration. The slotted return is much harder to adjust; it's difficult to loosen the retaining ring, aim it how you want, and tighten it without moving/spinning it.

-Garry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.