New pool owner with stinky pool

Jun 9, 2014
Australia
Hi fellow pool owners!

I'd like to say first up how delighted I am at finding such a wonderful resource. You are really doing a wonderful thing here. The information in Pool School/Math has probably already saved me and others significant money and hair loss. I am a new pool owner and quite anxious about the whole thing, very worried I will do something wrong, so on this forums advice the first thing I have done is acquired a K2006c. I don't want to be "pool stored" as you guys call it!

Quick background about my pool, it's about 4K gal/15K litres, 2 years old, gets LOTS of sun all day (probably 10+ hours since there is zero shade), pump runs from 6am-10am and 6pm-10pm every day (so 8 hours total). Solar heating is in winter mode now and just flushes water through once per day. SWG was set at I guess 50% (half the LEDs were on) when I moved in a few weeks ago which is now set on 87.5%. The water is crystal clear looks so inviting and no algae that I can see in sight. Everything looks to have been well maintained except...

...The water stinks. It has a very pungent odour identical to public pools that I now understand to be dreaded chloramines. Seems very unpleasant. From my reading the only cure is to SLAM the pool but I am having a hard time with my new test kit the K2006c.

I got home tonight with the new kit and decided to test pH, it was showing 8.2+ (as it has been with my previous test kit) and I have been adding muriatic acid probably twice a week, to the tune of about 300-400ml/10oz, brings it down to say 7.6 the next day but in a day or two it's back up again. But then I read that the pH test could be thrown by a high FC of 10+, so tonight even though it was dark I thought well I'll give the FC test a try. Stupid me first off decided to use 0.2ppm/25ml sample test, added the powder, and I ended up putting about 50 drops of the r-0871 in there with no visible change (the solution was red and did not even get lighter). Next up I decided to do it using the 0.5ppm/10ml sample, added my powder and I put about 40 drops of r-0871 in there, again no change from red! At this point I stopped because I was so disheartened and paranoid of using up my precious R-0871. So now I've wasted about 90 odd drops and have no results.

I tried TA and instead of turning green to red, it kind of turned blue-ish to yellow at about 70-80ppm which I read somewhere could happen, so I figure that's at least accurate, that's what my other kit was showing. I stopped there because it's dark and I will do a full set of tests on Saturday morning as I pretty much leave for work when it's dark and get home when it's dark!

I guess at this early stage and before I do anything stupid, I ask you pool gurus, would you agree that the smell is the dreaded chloramines and that my only recourse is to SLAM. And, should I have just kept going adding the precious r-0871 until it changed? It seemed really red and showed no sign of changing, 40 drops at 0.5ppm, could my FC really be 20+? Perhaps the SWG is working overtime (I mean, i did crank it to 87.5% thinking it may eliminate the CC... but hmmm yes given I don't know any other parameters yet e.g. CYA this was stupid in hindsight). I am really keen to post a full set of results to diagnose this, just worried about wasting reagents, they're like gold here in Aus haha! Sorry for the long post.

Shane

Welcome to TFP!

Your skewed pH reading, the colors you are seeing in the TA test and your FC test all point to very high chlorine already. I think I'd leave the SWCG off for a few days and monitor the chlorine level. Cool weather means lower chlorine usage.

Right! Your chlorine is off the charts it sounds like. Turn OFF the SWCG. Keep the pump going. Have liquid chlorine on hand.

With high Chlorine your PH test will not be accurate.

At least your pool looks good right?

Good luck!

Kim

Since odds are your FC is way high, use equal parts chlorine free water and pool water, mix it together, and use it to test for FC. Double the result and that should tell you how high the FC is reading.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on studying up and getting a test kit! That's awesome.

yup. What everyone else says. Your FC is way too high. FC at that level can also produce an odor.
Once you get the FC down in the recommended level range, it should dissipate considerably.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so this morning I had a chance to do a full test, here are my numbers:

CYA = 65 (did this twice and got the same value so pretty confident on this one)
CH = 490
FC = 32! (used 5ml diluted with another 5ml of tap water as zea3 suggested) and 32 drops later it turned clear so 32 x 0.5 x 2 = 32
CC = < 0.5 (it went only very faintly pink with the addition of the 5 drops, and went completely clear on the addition of a single drop of r-0871)
TA = 80
pH = unable to test due to high FC

Yikes. The SWG had been switched off for about 36 hours as of this morning. I did test the FC level just prior to switching it off, and got roughly the same result as above, so that's pretty scary that the FC hasn't dropped in that time. But it's been overcast and dismal, cold weather, plus the CYA is present, so I guess I'll just have to wait... I've got all winter I suppose.

Shane

It's going to take awhile for the chlorine to dissipate as it is cold over there right now. Keep the SWG off until then. It may take weeks for it to go down, depending on temp and weather conditions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.