Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electricians help needed. Installing a pool Heat Pump.

1. Back To Top    #1

Electricians help needed. Installing a pool Heat Pump.

Hi. I believe this is my first post, so much information here. OK so here is what im doing. I just bought a Raypak 50000 btu heat pump for my 15' above ground pool. I would like to know some of the electrical components i need to buy. I wont be hooking this up myself, that job goes to my neighbour who is an electrician. Just to simplify things...

50000 btu raypak heat pump model 2350
    Minium circuit ampacity 23 amps
    Maximum Breaker Size 35 Amps

The heater will be about 60' from the panel. From what i understand i need 8/3 wire and 30amp gfci breaker. Do i need a disconnect next to the heater or can i just run it from the panel? Do i bond the pool to the ground?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

western NY

Re: Electricians help needed. Installing a pool Heat Pump.

your electrician, who should be familiar with the codes in your area can answer these questions. 8/2 wire will be fine. No need for a third conductor. You will need a disconnect near the unit. You do not bond the pool to the ground. You bond the heater bonding lug to the bonding grid around the pool and connect the circuit ground to the proper chassis ground in the heater.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

To clarify what danpik said, I think the rule is that the disconnect must be in line of sight of the equipment, so it can't be around a corner, or on the inside of an exterior wall, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

While it's usually understood, you do need a ground in the power wiring to the unit from the breaker panel. That's completely different from the bonding requirement.

Also, you can buy 8/2 cable with and without a ground wire. Most places only stock it with ground so it's usually not a problem, but there are places that have it without. Just something to be aware of.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit