Foam vs sand?

Jun 5, 2014
Brentwood, Ca (Nor-Cal)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Breaking ground this weekend for my 16x48 pool! So level, foam board and tarp?

Been searching for foam board vs sand for flooring. From my understanding foam replaces sand completely? I plan on leaving it up year round, no snow just rain here (northern California) . Does foam board hold up to elements well? I know it's more pricey but $100 more doesn't really bother me. I just want something that will last. I see most using 3/4" to 1". How many sheets for 16'? I read 8 I believe...

I can't find this in my 94513 area

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corn...and-Groove-Insulating-Sheathing-37L/100320340

What about:
http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...0630&store=2508&view=detail&nValue=4294858106

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sand will wash away from underneath an intex pool with rain... There's nothing to contain it... Foam board should last a few years that's for sure, even longer if you take it down.... If your ground beneath the pool, is level, you shouldn't need anything else other than foam.... It really does make it nice underfoot... :)

Pink stuff is the best but expensive. I think just about everyone here would give you a no on the white. White stuff does crumble but will work. I used white in my current pool but only because I will be ripping it out in another year and to add a hopper as my girls become better swimmers, then we will go pink! Hope that helps :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And it's begun!
ydyrera5.jpg

So the place by me shows they carry "fill sand or mortor sand" (maybe they mean Mortar? LOL)

•Sand: Fill Sand and Mortor Sand

Will any of those work for my sand base? Maybe 3 yards or so? I'm guessing mortar...

also found a cool lil calculator

Round Shapes
Depth (Inches) Diameter (Feet)
3" 18'
Tons Required: 3.19994

Brick Sand, probably the same as mortar sand.
That is what I used.
My soil, mostly clay was already pretty level though and I used about a tonne. (approx 3/4 yard) for a 14' pool.
Just for a good skim coat on the top to perfect it. Leveled it out, wet it down, and tamped it down with a hand tamper until it was well compacted.
We just had the craziest driving rains here last night and I only had about 6-8 inches of water in the pool and as far as I can tell the sand didn't go anywhere... even the bits around the pool where the pool wasn't covering it.
You HAVE to make sure you tamp it down though, and I would still use a ground sheet too.
I just didn't have anywhere to keep the foam over the winter, and I didn't want to have to buy more every year or leave it out in the yard all winter either.

So they said "fill sand" is what everyone is using at around $35/yard. 3 yards and delivery is $135. Figure If I have extra I can do a pacer walkway.

Anyone use fill sand? I talked to 2 places and both said fill. Mason sand was $65.00/yard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.