Had to completely refill pool and have questions

Jun 9, 2014
Pekin, IL
Hey0!
I am a new member. A buddy of mine suggested this site and I'm in!
I had to completely refill my pool after it was repaired from tornado damage. I refilled with water from the hose, purchased my T100 test kit and tested the water twice.
My results are:
FC=3 good
PH=7.5 good
TA=370 high
CH=375 high
CYA=less than 20 low
All I have done is add bleach and a little leftover Cyanuric Acid from last year. I understand I need to get the CYA up and will do that via the sock method.
From what I read, it is OK to have the higher TA and CH, but if I lower the TA via muriatic acid and aeration over time while not letting my PH drop too low, it will also lower the CH too?
Is this right and the best course of action?

From what I read, it is OK to have the higher TA and CH, but if I lower the TA via muriatic acid and aeration over time while not letting my PH drop too low, it will also lower the CH too?
Is this right and the best course of action?

Adding muratic acid will lower your TA and PH. Aeration will increase your PH only. Neither of them will effect your CH. Only adding water with less CH will lower your total CH. That would be fill water or rain water, unless of course your fill water is higher than 375).

Lowering TA is a process of adding muratic acid to lower PH and TA, then aerating to raise PH up. Then adding more acid to lower ph and ta again. The acid lowers both, and the airation raises PH only.

Given you have a vinyl pool, I don't THINK your in danger of anything bad happening with those levels, but really I'm not 100% sure so I hope someone else can comment on this part.

Welcome, Nick :wave:

You understand the TA lowering. Use the search box for "aerator" and look for the
paperclip.png
icon. That means pictures. It'll give you some aerator ideas. Sadly, that doesn't work on CH.

If the CH is 375 straight out of the tap, you've got your work cut out for you! If you get any rain in the summer, try to grab as much as you can to fill your pool. Drain down a little before the rain fall, aim a raingutter downspout into the pool, whatever.

Thanks Guys!
My CH actually is 375 straight from the tap. Gotta love Pekin water! The raingutter downspout is a great idea!
Thanks to everyone here at TFP I am actually excited about the pool this year! Plus, I geeked out a little over the chemistry set that is the TFP T100 test!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.