Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Had to completely refill pool and have questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Had to completely refill pool and have questions

Hey0!
    I am a new member. A buddy of mine suggested this site and I'm in!
    I had to completely refill my pool after it was repaired from tornado damage. I refilled with water from the hose, purchased my T100 test kit and tested the water twice.
    My results are:
    FC=3 good
    PH=7.5 good
    TA=370 high
    CH=375 high
    CYA=less than 20 low
    All I have done is add bleach and a little leftover Cyanuric Acid from last year. I understand I need to get the CYA up and will do that via the sock method.
    From what I read, it is OK to have the higher TA and CH, but if I lower the TA via muriatic acid and aeration over time while not letting my PH drop too low, it will also lower the CH too?
    Is this right and the best course of action?
    Vinyl Above Ground 13x25 Splash Superpool /10600 Gallons / Sand Filter / Hayward 1.5hp Power-Flo LX Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Had to completely refill pool and have questions

Quote Originally Posted by nickboyer View Post
    From what I read, it is OK to have the higher TA and CH, but if I lower the TA via muriatic acid and aeration over time while not letting my PH drop too low, it will also lower the CH too?
    Is this right and the best course of action?
    Adding muratic acid will lower your TA and PH. Aeration will increase your PH only. Neither of them will effect your CH. Only adding water with less CH will lower your total CH. That would be fill water or rain water, unless of course your fill water is higher than 375).

Lowering TA is a process of adding muratic acid to lower PH and TA, then aerating to raise PH up. Then adding more acid to lower ph and ta again. The acid lowers both, and the airation raises PH only.

Given you have a vinyl pool, I don't THINK your in danger of anything bad happening with those levels, but really I'm not 100% sure so I hope someone else can comment on this part.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Scott gave good info. Sounds like you got it under control. CH only goes away with RO (Reverse Osmosis (expensive)) or adding water that has lower CH.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome, Nick

You understand the TA lowering. Use the search box for "aerator" and look for the icon. That means pictures. It'll give you some aerator ideas. Sadly, that doesn't work on CH.

If the CH is 375 straight out of the tap, you've got your work cut out for you! If you get any rain in the summer, try to grab as much as you can to fill your pool. Drain down a little before the rain fall, aim a raingutter downspout into the pool, whatever.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Guys!
    My CH actually is 375 straight from the tap. Gotta love Pekin water! The raingutter downspout is a great idea!
    Thanks to everyone here at TFP I am actually excited about the pool this year! Plus, I geeked out a little over the chemistry set that is the TFP T100 test!
    Vinyl Above Ground 13x25 Splash Superpool /10600 Gallons / Sand Filter / Hayward 1.5hp Power-Flo LX Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by nickboyer View Post
    Plus, I geeked out a little over the chemistry set that is the TFP T100 test!

And I thought I was the only one....

Welcome!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump