Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Redoing Caulk around pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Redoing Caulk around pool.

It was very cracked and looked bad guess first time in 12yrs it was done. Anyways I can't seem to get the old backing rod out will I have any issues if I leave it in and put new backing rod on top and caulk it?
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    Pentair CCP420 Clean and Clear Plus Pool and Spa Cartridge Filter, 150-GPM
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Redoing Caulk around pool.

I would only leave it in place and forego replacement as a last resort. Have you tried using a painter's 5-way tool to remove it? Great little tools for use as scraper/pick for jobs like this. (Note, you get what you pay for with these.)

Of course your site conditions and depth-width of joint/crack will cause results to vary. If you have access to either end and are working on expansion joints or nearly straight cracks you might try running a straightened out coat hanger under the rod a couple of feet at a time then pulling up on both ends of the hanger.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Redoing Caulk around pool.

Tried using a putty knife and a coat hanger the thing isn't budging. I'll go buy one of those painters tool see if I can't get that to work.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    Pentair CCP420 Clean and Clear Plus Pool and Spa Cartridge Filter, 150-GPM
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000